Central PTSA: ‘We’re Here to Make a Difference’

Matthew Davis, Staff Writer

‘At Central, the Parent, Teacher, and Student Association (PTSA) is a very important organization. This group helps the school in many ways, from providing funding to helping with graduation to pushing for things the school needs. The PTSA is in place mostly for students. They give the students and faculty one voice to help them reach a common goal.

“We are advocates for both student and teachers. We take two opinions into consideration and create one middle ground,” stated PTSA President Brian Sledge, a parent of a current senior.

The group is comprised of students, teachers, administrators, parents, and community and business leaders. These are all people who are committed to the education and success of the students at Central High School.

“The PTSA is a registered, 501(c)(3) nonprofit that prides itself on being a voice for all students,” said Sledge.

This organization is present in most schools, but there are differences between the groups in elementary and secondary schools. In elementary schools, the organizaion is simply PTA – Parent and Teacher Association. In the middle and high schools, students have the option to join so they can have an equal voice. This creates many opportunities for students to be heard and make change happen.

“I think the group is amazing because they help make Central the superior school it is. The PTSA is the backbone of support at CHS,” said Sarah McRoy, a regular attendee of meetings and a freshman parent.

PTSA is always looking for new members, especially students. If you or someone you know wishes to join, contact PTSA President Brian Sledge at 423-280-6341. Meetings are the second Monday of every month at 6:00 p.m. in the CHS cafeteria. The Central Digest hopes to see you there!