New Jazz Band Class Boasts of Over 30 Students

August 22, 2016

MR. BLOODWORTH KICKS OFF JAZZ BAND -- Mr. Joshua Bloodworth talks to the jazz band to help them to improve their daily skills.

Matthew Davis

MR. BLOODWORTH KICKS OFF JAZZ BAND — Mr. Joshua Bloodworth talks to the jazz band to help them to improve their daily skills.

During the 2015-2016 school year, Band Director Joshua Bloodworth and Central’s former band director, Bobby Dugan, constructed a jazz band that had began practicing after school on Wednesdays.  This school year, jazz band has been added as an actual class that includes over thirty students from all grade levels who are passionate about music.

“I was interested in jazz band because of the music itself. I was already in concert and marching band, so jazz band was another thing that I had to have on my schedule,” shared Rebekah Pell, sophomore member of the jazz band.

This new type of band opens up many more opportunities for the students that are a part of it. These young musicians have more opportunities to be in honor bands and to perform in a smaller, more intimate group. These extra rewards and opportunities do come with additional work. The students now have two groups to practice for, twice the songs to learn, and double the instrument care responsibilities. Luckily most jazz music is very well known, so the concept is not too difficult to grasp.

“Jazz band is more of a blues, funky type of music playing. You need a good rhythm section and lots of woodwinds, especially saxophones. The rhythms are harder and can be changed to fit the player. Concert band is more precise, and the music has to be played exactly how it is on the page,” added Josh Sizemore, junior and jazz band member.

Here at Central, we support all forms of art, therefore we are excited to see new opportunities for students to open their mind.