$100 Up for Grabs in EPB’s 2017 Black History Month Poetry Contest

FEBRUARY IS BLACK HISTORY MONTH -- The Annual Black History Month Poetry Contest begins for any determined students.

Google Images

FEBRUARY IS BLACK HISTORY MONTH — The Annual Black History Month Poetry Contest begins for any determined students.

Zeena Whayeb, Staff Writer

Ambitious poets and artists in Grades 1 through 12 are invited to participate in EPB’s 13th Annual Black History Month Poetry contest. The theme of this year’s contest is: “What African American person or group inspires you to make history yourself? And how?” Other than sticking to the theme, this contest offers carte blanche with the style of poetry.

“Last year was remarkable with 362 entries. We look forward to receiving over 400 entries this year, the most since we started the contest,” stated Kelvin Boyd, the community relations specialist of EPB.

This contest covers the entire service area of EPB, which is every school in the city of Chattanooga.

Entries will be divided into four age groups: Grades 1-3, Grades 4-5, Grades 6-8, and Grades 9-12. The top two students in each of the four age groups will win $100 each, as will the winners’ teachers.

Students in Grades 1-3 may submit an original drawing related to the theme instead of a poem.

“Winning students, parents, teachers, and judges will be invited to the EPB Black History Month Awards Banquet,” explained Mr. Boyd.

The awards banquet will be held on March 16, 2017, on the 7th floor of the downtown EPB building.

“In the past, Central had many winners in this contest. In 2013, for example, we had first and second place winners,” shared Mr. Gregory Cantrell, the Journalism adviser.

If you are interested in entering, see your English teacher or go to the Black History Month website. Entries must be received by EPB no later than 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on February 10, 2017. Winners will be notified by phone and email later that month.

The Central Digest hopes every student participates in this contest with great elan and hopes to see some at the awards banquet. May luck be with you, wunderkinds.