But Seriously…: A Quick Chat About Snapchat

STOP! SELFIE TIME! -- Chantena Bates takes a quick snap with Jared Eddy

Chantena Bates

STOP! SELFIE TIME! — Chantena Bates takes a quick snap with Jared Eddy

Jared Eddy, Columnist

First, let me take a selfie!

The selfie has evolved tremendously since it first became a trend. Thanks to the app, Snapchat, created by Evan Spiegal, Bobby Murphy, and Reggie Brown when they were students at Stanford University, the selfie is now part of the teenage culture. Snapchat has over 150 million people taking pictures and messaging each other every day. It has now surpassed Twitter in daily users.

But seriously, what makes this app so popular? I asked some students their thoughts.

“Snapchat is the most amazing thing in the world”, said Jimena Villanueva, a sophomore. “It is just such a great way to keep in touch with everyone”.

Senior D’Andre Anderson had the same thoughts.

“I really do love the app. I have so much fun laughing at all the crazy and goofy things people put on there. It is just a great place to look for a laugh or entertainment. I also feel more connected to my friends than ever”. shared Anderson.

There is no question the app has changed the “norm” of the average teenage life. With the multiple filters of what you can be or look like, to the new way of advertising through the app, Snapchat is a phenomenon.

Seriously though, the app is very unique and fun, but of course it is not perfect. There have been multiple cases of students getting their smart phones taken up in class for taking a quick “snap” in class and students being distracted in the hallways.

So peers, watch where you are going, and never walk and snap.