Alumni Spotlight: WRCB-TV Host Ken Nicholson was Mr. Central 2005

ALUMNI SPOTLIGHTt: WRCB-TV HOST KEN NICHOLSON WAS MR. CENTRAL 2005- From Mr. Central to WRCB-TV host, Ken Nicholson is living his dream.

Jacob Johns

Jacob Johns, Business Manager

From Senior Class President to Mr. Central, Ken Nicholson had a very eventful time while he was at Central. After graduating in 2005, he attended the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.

After graduating from UTC, Nicholson began working in news.

“I did freelance journalism for 3 years and moved to Jackson, Tennessee, but then I moved back to Chattanooga to do what I love,” commented Nicholson.

Nicholson found his love for news very early in his life and has had a passion for it ever since.

“It started in my 8th grade year at Hunter Middle School and they were having try-outs for the morning announcements and I won. From then on, I anchored the morning announcements. I realized that I could channel that into something. You put two and two together, and here I am,” stated Nicholson.

While attending UTC, Nicholson wanted to further his passion for news and got a start in the career from then on.

“My internship at UTC is how I got my open door. I applied and got accepted,” stated Nicholson, “They called me ‘Kentern’ and when I left, I got the job offer.”

Although he enjoys his job, it is not always an easy one.

“The most challenging part of my job is setting my standards aside and sacrificing them to get the job done,” stated Nicholson, “I want to be perfect every time, but it can’t be that way. Sometimes there is “Breaking News” and I would love to write a great web copy, but sometimes I just have to get the bear essentials.”

Nicholson has been successful, so far, throughout his career, but he could not have done it without Central High.

“During high school, I was bullied for being openly gay, but what I learned from Central is that I could change that. Sometimes I had to remain myself, and sometimes I had to show that I was person and not a label. I learned that you have to show that you aren’t the stereotype that some are afraid of,” vocalized Nicholson.

Not only did Central High help him succeed, but teachers that worked at Central High at the time, were there to back him up also.

“Mrs. Stone taught me that you have to see the bigger picture in business and I saw that bigger picture.” said Nicholson, “Mr. King, when he was a teacher at Central, not only taught me how to balance my checkbook, but taught me that whatever life deals you, you have to work hard at it.”

Nicholson’s show, Trends on 3, on WRCB Channel 3 can be seen on Saturdays @ 5:30 on Channel 3.