Alumni Spotlight: Craig Staton, From Central Student to Chemical Engineer

CRAIG STATON NOW A MANAGER AT CHATTEM. -- Staton believes his experience at Central led to a fantastic career at Chattem.

Craig Staton

CRAIG STATON NOW A MANAGER AT CHATTEM. — Staton believes his experience at Central led to a fantastic career at Chattem.

Eleanor Simmons, Staff Writer

Have you ever wondered what it is like to hold all the responsibility in your hands?

Craig Staton, the manager of process and packaging operations three for Chattem incorporation, currently works hard to make sure that everything on a day to day basis happens smooth and efficiently.

“I currently work to ensure the quality, safety, and efficacy of Chattem’s products such as ACT mouthwash, Allegra and etc. I daily direct the everyday affairs of the plant by working with Engineering for new packaging or processing applications,” explained Staton.

Staton recalled that his career has been interesting, fluid, and dynamic and that he has a degree in Chemical Engineering but has never worked much in that specific degree. He has worked more on the manufacturing side and has had various responsibilities and roles not by his choice but picked by others.

Furthermore, Staton noted that his job has taught him how to be a critical thinker and it helped him learn a few tenets to guide him through life.

“Some of the things it has taught me is to treat others how I want to be treated, be open to change, you should learn something new everyday, if it is broken you cannot make it any more broken by trying to fix it, and last but not least failure is an option but not learning from failure is not,” said Staton.

Staton stated that his work is always changing, and maintaining interest in your work can be challenging if your duties are monotonous however, everyday is a new adventure and will easily hold one’s interest.

“I chose Chemical Engineering because, I knew it would have a relatively stable career so that I could always provide for my family and the ones that I  love. The chemical industry provides a path that can be as varying and fulfilling as you make it, and on the plus side I also love the challenge,” recalled Staton.

He determines that people can learn quite a bit about the chemical industry, for example most people do not know what it takes to produce a bottle of lotion or to purify your water so that it is safe to drink. From the manufacturer of the raw materials to the company that molds the bottles or that builds the pumps the industry can almost seem infinite at times.

“The best part about my job is that we truly are family to one another and we all want to work together to ensure Chattem’s continued success. My work definitely influences people on various levels, our products are used daily by individuals that use them in order to treat specific conditions such as allergies, dry skin, aches and pains,” commented Staton.

Staton concluded that it takes the right sort of people to be able to work in close quarters and to ensure the safety and quality of our products, students should want those impacts to be positive because it makes for a better working environment.