Central’s Softball Team Packs Boxes For Forgotten Child Fund

CENTRAL’S SOFTBALL TEAM HELPS OUT FORGOTTEN CHILD FUND — Coach LeeAnn Shurette and the softball team at the Forgotten Child Fund warehouse last year. (2015)

DayOnna Carson, Staff Writer

Central’s softball team has recently finished helping The Forgotten Child Fund pack toys just in time for the holiday season. Every year, Coach LeeAnne Shurette and the girls’ softball team make it their goal to help their community.

“It’s very satisfying to be able to help others in the community. It makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something great,” divulged Carrie Sylvester.

This will be the fourth year the team will have volunteered to help pack toys for children in need. The Forgotten Child Fund is a non-profit organization that specializes in providing gifts for thousands of children each year. This program was started by a police officer and fellow Chattanoogan, Johnny Wright, during the early 1960s. Their mission is to ensure that every child has an enjoyable Christmas, so that no kid will feel left out during the holiday season.

“Sports teach you about life, and this not only helps the softball team bond with one another, it teaches players to be selfless. Selflessness teaches us to care about others’ well being, and this is a trait that will help the team go far in life,” explains Shurette. “The team wants to represent Central well by staying committed, making good grades, and working hard each day.”

At the Forgotten Child Fund headquarters, volunteers choose toys according to the child’s gender and age. The softball team usually spends about three hours working at the establishment.

“I’d say my favorite part is trying to figure out what toys the child will like and enjoy the most,” Sylvester revealed.

Through connections to one of the Forgotten Child Fund founders, the softball team was able to learn more about the movement and start a magnanimous tradition that they hope to continue in the future.

“It’s all about showing Christ’s love by leading young girls. I just want to make a positive impact on our community,” said Shurette.

“I think other students should be more involved with helping others not only because it will make them feel good about themselves, but because it will help encourage more people to want to do something right for the community,” admitted Sylvester.