Athlete Spotlight: Alivia Smith is ‘Goals’ in Basketball

ALIVIA SMITH IS GOALS IN BASKETBALL-- Smith shoots some goals on the court.

Jacob Johns

ALIVIA SMITH IS “GOALS” IN BASKETBALL– Smith shoots some goals on the court.

Jacob Johns, Business Manager

Central High School is home for over a hundred different athletes from various different sports and while some found their love and passion in something other than sports, Alivia Smith found her passion in basketball.

Smith, the sophomore prodigy, has been playing the sport throughout her academic career.

“I have been playing basketball since third grade, so for about eight years now,” stated Smith. “I picked up a soccer ball and I would dribble it around the house all day everyday. I told my mom I wanted to play, so she put my in a recreational league.”

Although Smith had a passion and talent for basketball, working her way to the top was not so easy.

“I worked continuously until a man scouted me out to play AAU basketball, which is a traveling team,” stated Smith. “The competition in AAU was very different and I had to work a lot harder for my spot.”

Basketball is not an easy sport, but that does not stop Smith from being a better athlete everyday.

“The best part about playing basketball is that it’s what I love to do. No matter what the outcome of the game is, win or loss, it is what I love to do…One of my biggest dreams is to make it big,” stated Smith.

Though Smith strives to be the best that she can be and works effortlessly to be perfect, there are still things that she needs to improve on.

“I need to work on my defense, because I lack there,” admitted Smith. “I need to get my feet faster in order to pick up the skills needed to play when I am in college. College coaches are looking for defense, because anyone can shoot a basket. Defense is what wins the game.”

While playing a sport, athletes always tend to have those memorable games to keep them pushing forward during the season.

“The most memorable game I have ever played at Central would have to be the first game of this season,” stated Smith. “Even though I went the whole game without scoring… it the last second is what won the game. It reminded me to keep working and never give up.”

Smith’s teammates agree that she adds a special value to the team, in which she upholds.

“Alivia gives good assists and sometimes she takes it to the rim to give us a good basket,” stated Miracle Miller, a senior Lady Pounder on the varsity team. “The most memorable moment I have had with Alivia is when she hit me with a great, no-look pass during a game.”

There is no doubt that Smith has had many memorable moments, but according to Coach May, there is one memory that beats them all.

“The most memorable moment that Alivia has had was the very first game of this season versus Tyner, which is our big rival. There was ten seconds to go and we were down by one point and she stole the ball, shot a layup and won the game,” stated May.

“Alivia is leading the team in scoring and assists, and she is what I describe as a ‘one guard’, in which she is the ‘quarterback’ of the basketball team,” elaborated May.

Alivia plans to continue her passion in basketball throughout college and hopes to make it big. Come out to support our Lady Pounders at any of the basketball games!