The Central Sound of Chattanooga Represents in Lee Honor Band

LOUD AND PROUD -- (From left to right) Hannah Stone, Lily deCordova, and Savannah Smith out-shone thousands of students and were invited to join the Lee Honor Band.

Shelby Campbell

LOUD AND PROUD — (From left to right) Hannah Stone, Lily deCordova, and Savannah Smith out-shone thousands of students and were invited to join the Lee Honor Band.

Payton Haley, Staff Writer

Central High School offers almost any and every class one can imagine. The arts are a huge part of who we are at Central, and students are offered multiple music classes and art classes. Like any other high school, our concert and marching bands are a very important part of our school spirit. They exemplify determination, responsibility and focus, and we at the Central Digest could not be more proud of the Central Sound of Chattanooga. Every year, Lee University hosts an event for high school students across the south to take a shot at playing their instruments with the best of the best musicians. They choose 85 students out of thousands of applicants to join them in what they call “the Lee Honor Band.” Students who are interested fill out an application and must have an outstanding recommendation from their band director.

This year, three Central students were chosen to play in the Lee Honor Band. Drum Major Lily deCordova and Central Digest’s own Savannah Smith and Hannah Stone showed that they could rise above the rest.

“Mr. Bloodworth told us about it (the honor band) and if we were interested, [we should] get an application. I have played trumpet for five years, and this year. Bloodworth wanted to put me on French horn to see if I liked it. I’ve loved it ever since,” shared Savannah.

The junior continued by sharing why she wanted to apply for the honor band.

“I think it will be good for me because I’m thinking about majoring in music and definitely doing it (band) in college.”

Lily is a senior who has been Central’s Drum Major for two years.

“I’ve played flute for seven years and the piccolo for four years. It is considered a great honor to get accepted into various honor bands throughout high school, and it will help me become better acquainted with different music professors who could later help me in the musical field,” she said.

The Central Digest is very proud of our students and cannot wait to hear more about their experience in the Lee Honor Band!