Central Students Build Class Schedules for the 2017-2018 School Year

STUDENTS SET UP THEIR SCHEDULE -- With the help of Mrs. Hensley, Hannah Holmberg, a senior, talks about her classes.

Zeena Whayeb

STUDENTS SET UP THEIR SCHEDULE — With the help of Mrs. Hensley, Hannah Holmberg, a senior, talks about her classes.

Zeena Whayeb, Staff Writer

It is the month of April, also known as the month of testing, schedules, panic and overall stress.

Students at Central High School are setting up their schedules with the help of Central’s counselors: Mrs. Lindey Ruggles, Mrs. Chelsea Long, Mrs. Atkins and Mrs. Long’s substitute, Mrs. Hensley.

There will be a lot of changes in the upcoming school year. New classes starting next year will include HVAC (air conditioning class), Biochemical Nutrition, and Honors Physics.

“On the other hand, Central will be losing the Fashion Design and education classes,” stated Mrs. Ruggles.

In addition, there will be many class and teacher changes. Gary Fomby, a Biology teacher, will take over forensic science; Christina Cotreau, the another biology teacher, will take over anatomy; and Mrs. Jordyn Johnson, a chemistry teacher, will also be teaching biochemical nutrition.

There are also quite a few teachers and staff members that will be retiring at the end of this school year: Mrs. Donna Sellers, Mrs. Doris Coulter, Sergeant Lewis, Señor Socarras, and one of the assistant principals, Mr. Frank Jones. These forthcoming retirees will all be missed.

Schedule due dates vary. The counselors are doing their best to try and contact each student about their schedule.

“I still have not received my schedule form and I’m worried they might never get to it,” shared Matthew Phan, a sophomore at Central.

Students who have not yet received a schedule sheet should not worry, as the counselors are close to finishing up with everyone. Setting up the actual schedules for next year is a long process that consists of counting up the requests for a class, entering the class information into the computer, and the actual set up of all the schedules.