Junior Varsity Cheer Tryouts Held by NBA Dancer Deanna Lanier and Former Collegiate Athlete Tatiana Headd

JUNIOR VARSITY CHEER RETURNS FOR 2020-21 BASKETBALL SEASON -- Last years junior varsity cheerleaders looking towards the basketball court as the junior varsity  basketball team plays.

Karleigh Schwarzl

JUNIOR VARSITY CHEER RETURNS FOR 2020-21 BASKETBALL SEASON — Last year’s junior varsity cheerleaders looking towards the basketball court as the junior varsity basketball team plays.

Donovan Smith, Staff Writer

Junior varsity (JV) cheer is right around the corner, and this year is going to be like no other. For the first time, male students will be allowed to try out. Tryouts will be held from November 19 through November 21. The tryouts will be hosted by special guests and NBA dancer Tatiana Headd and collegiate dancer Deanna Lanier. The duo will be teaching cheers, chants, and dances. Lanier is a dancer for the Atlanta Hawks, while Headd has experience from Spelman College. Requirements to be a junior varsity cheerleader are to have an uplifting personality and a 2.0 grade point average.

“We have a plan in place, there will be more [junior varsity] cheerleaders this year than years past,” stated Coach Karen Atkins. “The criteria for the varsity squad eliminates many students from participating on the team. I have a criteria in place for the JV team that allows opportunity for students that may struggle in certain areas to be a part of a team that will motivate and empower them to be a better student overall.”

JV cheerleaders have different expectations in order to set them apart from the varsity cheerleaders. For example, varsity cheerleaders cheer at away games, participate in fundraisers, run the concession stand, and participate in various other activities.

The junior varsity cheerleaders will participate in cheering at home games and parades. Also, the JV cheerleaders will only cheer during junior varsity basketball games. With Coach Atkins also coaching the majorettes, she wants to insure the attention is upon the junior varsity cheerleaders, therefore having two separate seasons for the sports.

“Cheerleading was something I never tried before. Through JV cheerleading, I built new friendships, gained more confidence in myself, and helped the other girls find themselves as well,” Sophomore Madison Marler stated. “Strangers became friends on the cheer team, it was a fun experience and I loved sharing that feeling with these girls.”

The JV cheer team will participate in their first game on December 4, when the JV basketball team faces Lookout Valley. Be sure to come out and support the new cheerleaders.

Readers can view the latest sports updates on theĀ sports center page. This is where schedules, scores, and rosters will be posted.