Central’s College Fair Was Successful In Informing Students About College Opportunities

CENTRALS COLLEGE FAIR WAS SUCCESSFUL IN INFORMING STUDENTS ABOUT COLLEGE OPPORTUNITIES -- Students and teachers pose together at the College Fair

Savannah Smith

CENTRAL’S COLLEGE FAIR WAS SUCCESSFUL IN INFORMING STUDENTS ABOUT COLLEGE OPPORTUNITIES — Students and teachers pose together at the College Fair

Victoria Dutilly, Staff Writer

Central High School hosted the annual college fair for all grades to become familiar with many different options for college. Susan Dyer, Central’s college access advisor, was responsible for organizing the college fair.

“The college fair’s purpose is for colleges from out of state and in state to talk to students of all grades. The students received pamphlets and asked questions to learn more about the campus, different majors available, and information for scholarships,” Dyer explained.

More than 20 colleges, along with The Army, set up a booth at this year’s college fair. Some of the colleges included Austin Peay State University, Tennessee State University, and Nossi College of Art.

Dyer explains that she didn’t have to ask any of the colleges to come, they all volunteered.

“[The colleges] came to UTC who was hosting a college fair for all ages to participate. The colleges signed up for different schools to come to. I didn’t have to ask them to come since they already volunteered,” Ms. Dyer commented.

Danae Wnuk, a Central freshman, was impressed by the effort given by many colleges on that day.

“The college fair was supposed to help students find colleges that they might be interested in,” she explained. “I was impressed by the programs that Sewanee and Tennessee Tech offered. The University of Cumberland also seemed interesting. My favorite part was seeing how many career options there were and I am definitely considering pursuing Psychology as a major.”

The main reasons for a  high-schoolers’ apprehension towards college, according to scholarships.com, are concerns with money, unsureness of which college to go to, and etc. The college fair was beneficial in providing scholarship options and helping familiarize students with many different schools.

.