Physical Education Classes are Conducted Online

PHYSICAL EDUCATION CONVERTS TO ONLINE LEARNING — Cheerleaders line up to honor senior sports players in the school gym during a pep rally.

DayOnna Carson

DayOnna Carson, Editor in Chief

Most everyone can vividly remember their experience in gym class, otherwise known as physical education. Pacer tests, the mile run, and the push up test, among countless other exercise drills, are all integral aspects of the high school gym requirements. With the rapid spread of COVID-19, Hamilton County students cannot return to school until April 17. Due to the school closures, all classes have been conducted online, including P.E.

“[Having] Gym online seems a lot like unnecessary busy work to me. I have to keep a daily log of my food and water intake along with my workouts and heart rate,” Senior Mya McCullough, a student of Coach LeeAnne Shurette’s, stated

Many students already had mixed feelings towards gym class, as the less athletic students dread the seemingly excessive exercises. And if that were not the case before, students are definitely divided about the way the class has been conducted digitally.

One of P.E.’s online assignments asked students to write at least a two page essay on the importance of being safe on social media. Many students wondered how such writing points related to health and fitness.

“We do have to write essays… I’m not a fan,” McCullough revealed. “Again, it feels very unnecessary— like they are just adding to my workload when I could be using that time to work on assignments for my more important classes instead of an elective.”

While some gym assignments may seem mundane, Coach Shurette and Coach Glen Carter are ultimately trying their best to comply with the county’s online requirements, as well as choose assignments that will benefit their students in the long run. This indefinite school closure was unprecedented, so teachers are just as new to virtual learning as students are.

“It has been difficult to adjust, as I’m much more used to having a routine and knowing what to expect when I enter the gym in school,” said McCullough.

The majority of students are hoping to be able to finish out the school year in the physical school building, and only time will tell in-person schooling is feasible.