Central Band Members Jazz Up The School Year

MEMBERS ENJOY THE FIRST JAZZ BAND REHEARSAL -- Band members stay after school to kick off the new jazz band program and begin rehearsal.

Josh Bloodworth

MEMBERS ENJOY THE FIRST JAZZ BAND REHEARSAL — Band members stay after school to kick off the new jazz band program and begin rehearsal.

Matthew Davis, Staff Writer

Jazz has always been a well known genre of music, but the exciting music style has recently declined in popularity. Jazz hit its peak in the 1950’s and remained beloved for years. Through the 90’s, almost all schools followed this craze and created jazz bands, but they aren’t very common anymore.

“Every school in the county used to have a jazz band, we would even have jazz festivals, but over the years they’ve just slowly died out,” shared Bobby Dugan, director of a jazz band and retired Central band director.

Now, this wonderful music style is making a comeback. Jazz music is defined as a type of music of black American origin characterized by improvisation, syncopation, and usually a regular or forceful rhythm, emerging at the beginning of the 20th century. Brass and woodwind instruments and piano are particularly associated with jazz, although guitar and occasionally violin are also used. This style is fantastic for the Central Sound, because Central’s band has such strong woodwind and brass sections.

“I’m really excited to continue with the group because the first rehearsal was so much fun. We weren’t very good because jazz music is so different than more classical music like we play in symphonic band, but I can tell we have potential, so we’ll get there,” shared Lacy Mckinney, a member of the new jazz band.

This new genre of music is excellent for directors because it allows them to expand their programs, and beneficial for students because they are able to expand their knowledge of music even further. Here at Central, starting a jazz band has done exactly that. The band had their first rehearsal on Wednesday, February 3, and plan to continue having rehearsals every Wednesday to advance their playing abilities. This is an extra commitment for students, because now they have to practice music for both this group and the symphonic band, but those who are taking part in it, seem determined.

As the group becomes better, they will be able to perform at school activities and other events. The Digest supports the arts in all its forms and we are incredibly excited to see what the new jazz band brings to Central High School.