Central Students “Step Up” to the STEP-UP Program

STEP-UP PROGRAM OPENS DOORS FOR CENTRAL STUDENTS -- The STEP-UP program provides a place for students to learn valuable skills and become prepared for the real world ahead of them.

STEP-UP PROGRAM OPENS DOORS FOR CENTRAL STUDENTS — The STEP-UP program provides a place for students to learn valuable skills and become prepared for the real world ahead of them.

Matthew Davis, Staff Writer

Here in Chattanooga, a new program has started called STEP-UP Chattanooga. It is an internship program for students grades 10 through 12 who live in Hamilton County. The group of students who participate in the program will be given job training and then possibly a paying job at Chattanooga businesses and nonprofit organizations. This opportunity allows students to gain job experience, explore career interests, and build professional skills. To be eligible for this program you must meet certain income requirements, be a Hamilton County student as of June 1, 2016, and not currently be enrolled in college.

“I’m worried it will be hard to get in with such easy requirements, but hopefully I can still get the opportunity. It’s really cool just to be considered,” shared Alyssa Barclay, one of the recommended students.

This program is a way for students to learn useful skills to use later in life and prepare them for the adult workforce. In the upcoming years, retirement rates are expected to rise, but the number of young people moving into the workforce is to remain constant, producing a shortage of skilled, experienced workers. This is where programs such as STEP-UP Chattanooga prove their importance. This allows students to get training and skills they need before officially entering the professional world on their own.

“I wish that everyone at Central could get into this program because it really can help teach skills that people need to know to be a valuable part of the workforce,” revealed Ms. Beverly Hollingsworth, STEM coordinator at Central.

Students have a choice between places such as First Tennessee, Benwood, and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee. Through their time at these local businesses, students can explore career options to gain an idea of the day to day jobs they may be interested in before attending college. After leaving, students will also be able to keep in touch with directors who will help them find good college programs and eventually jobs.