Central CDC Teacher Gets Selected As Golden Apple Teacher Of The Week

CENTRAL CDC TEACHER GETS SELECTED AS GOLDEN APPLE TEACHER OF THE WEEK -- Teacher Romonda Word (far back row in the yellow shirt) and her students cheerfully pose outside the school.

Donated to Central Digest

CENTRAL CDC TEACHER GETS SELECTED AS GOLDEN APPLE TEACHER OF THE WEEK — Teacher Romonda Word (far back row in the yellow shirt) and her students cheerfully pose outside the school.

Meghan Duncan, Staff Writer

Romonda Word, a CDC teacher here at Central High School, has been selected as the Golden Apple Teacher of the Week. Word was nominated by one of her former students, James McClemore.

“According to James, he chose me because I inspired him to be a better person, and just because he had a disability he knew that it didn’t have to be his crutch,” explained Word.

Word has been teaching for over 17 years. She attended Tennessee Tech, where she earned her bachelors and her EOS, before receiving her masters at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Her love for her students has grown tremendously over the years.

“I enjoy working and helping kids with disabilities, it’s why I became a teacher. All of the kids are unique and I love showing them how to function in the world and in society.” Word added.

Several of her students have encouraged people to get to know her for the caring and kind personality that she has always extended to her students, like William Toney and Zarious Peavey.

“Mrs. Word is funny, and she always helps me when I need instructions or when I’m confused,” shared William Toney.

“If we make a mistake she will help us try not to make the mistake over again, she always reminds us what to do,” explained Peavey.

Word’s students, as well as the staff, are very proud to have her as a teacher. She makes every moment count and loves her students more then anything. Central sends out a huge congratulations to Word for being such a big inspiration to all.