Cooper is Awarded $900 Strong Schools Grant From Unum

COOPER HOPES TO USE $900 STRONG SCHOOLS GRANT TO PURCHASE TABLET COMPUTERS -- Cooper teaches his  students.

Jacob Johns

COOPER HOPES TO USE $900 STRONG SCHOOLS GRANT TO PURCHASE TABLET COMPUTERS — Cooper teaches his students.

DayOnna Carson, Staff Writer

Physics instructor John Cooper was recently awarded the Strong Schools Grant, which is funded by Unum. Teachers who are entitled to this promotion work in public schools, and are chosen based on their classroom needs. Teachers apply for this grant online, and Unum bases their selections on the most innovative and interactive ideas that the applicants submit.

“Teachers who apply usually have a specific need or instructional idea they would like to use to benefit student learning. Often funds at a school are short, or come with lots of conditions, so a grant always teachers with these unique instructional ideas to fund their projects,” Cooper revealed.

Cooper was ecstatic when he heard the news that Unum would give him a grant of around $900. He plans on using the money to purchase four laptop/tablet computers for his classes. Cooper believes that the new equipment will bring about new opportunities to his students.

The smart devices will enable his students to use advanced data analysis tools, such as Vernier software, that Central’s current Chromebooks do not offer. Cooper also hopes to improve his students’ proficiency with word processing and presentation programs. Students will be able to get familiar with applications such as Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, which goes beyond the skill needed to navigate social media.

“These computers will allow my students to discover multiple assets on the internet to help them better create and polish their reports and research projects that they will complete. Using things like APA format is hard, but it does not have to be if you find websites that help guide you through the process. There are so many other easy to access resources for information besides Wikipedia, and some are real gems that I want students to know how to locate and use,” stated Cooper.

Cooper has received about ten unique grants over his years of teaching, and most definitely plans on applying for more.

“My first grant was to purchase a greenhouse for my class, but I’ve received some to purchase iPads and other data collection equipment, one to purchase an observation bee hive, and others for a trip to France to develop a city design project, which I am doing with my Environmental Science students currently,” Cooper divulged, “I plan to continue applying for grants as they become available. The next one will probably be for a diesel generator. It would be beneficial and fun for students working with the community to start learning about, creating, and testing biofuels.”

Students and faculty are always on the look out for ways to improve our learning environment here at Central. By getting involved and being active citizens, we will have the ability to make school resources and projects a reality.

“I enjoy increasing the learning opportunities and increasing the number of pathways to success that I can offer students in the classroom. Not all students succeed with the way information is presented to them,” explained Cooper, “With these computers more than one path for a student to achieve success become available.”