Two New Student-Teachers Learn How to be Proper Educators at Central High

COLLEGE STUDENT TEACHERS LEARN HOW TO BE EDUCATORS — Ms. Casey Hale, a UTC student-teacher, analyzes Shakespeare’s play, Julius Caesar, with her Honors English 10 class.

Brittney Hoang, Staff Writer

Teachers are crucial contributors in the education system. Not only do they act as a role model for their students, but they also pass on their wisdom and knowledge to the next generation. With such an important task at hand, how are teachers able to prepare this young susceptible generation to one day take their place in society and prepare them for forthcoming obstacles in their lives? The answer is to train and give first hand experience to rising educators of the younger generation, more well known as student-teachers. Central currently houses two student-teachers who are eagerly taking this opportunity to learn from veteran educators.

One of those student teachers is Casey Hale, who currently attends the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and plans to graduate on May 6, 2017 with a major in secondary education in English. She is currently under the guidance of Kevin Parsons, a Central English 10 and Theater Arts instructor.

“A teacher was the only thing that I ever wanted to be,” began Hale. “My mom was a teacher, and at first I just wanted to decorate a class room, but as I grew up I liked spending time with kids.”

Although well on her way to achieving her ambitions, there are first a few obstacles that she first must overcome.

“One of the difficulties of being a student-teacher is balancing being in the classroom [as a teacher] and schoolwork,” elucidated Hale. “After all, you still are a student, but you’re also a teacher.”

“Ms. Hale is great! Honestly, she’s the best student-teacher I’ve ever had,” exclaimed sophomore Cheyenne Robinson. “She will do great as a teacher, no doubt about it! She actually pays attention to detail and learns about the students rather than just knowing their names.”

Central’s other current student-teacher is Moriah White, who currently attends Lee University and will also be graduating on May 6, 2017 with a major in psychology and sociology with a teaching license. White’s mentor is Mrs. Justine Staton, Central’s sociology and psychology instructor.

“My ultimate goal is to be a counselor, but I also really like the discussions that take place in psychology,” explained White.

Just as there are clouds in the sky, every person has their own set of worries.

“Gaining the respect from students is something I believe is difficult as a student-teacher,” stated White. “One other thing is also trying to adjust to the longer hours.”

Despite White’s concerns, she appears to be connecting well with the students.

“I think she’s doing fine for someone working with high school students,” began Katie Deanna Wnuck, a sophomore student taking both sociology and AP Psychology. “It’s a lot more difficult, especially for younger teachers, to deal with high school students. I believe she’ll do fine as a teacher, she knows what to do in a classroom and adjusts and adapts well to the classes.”

As graduation quickly approaches and these student-teachers move into the rest of their lives, their concerns shift from classes to employment.

“They say that the first year as a teacher is the hardest year, from connecting with the students to time management,” expressed Hale.

“Gaining the respect from my students due to my young age is a concern,” stated White.

However, there is one thing that appears to concern not just one, but both student-teachers.

“I am very worried about getting a job,” phonated Hale.

“I’ll teach anywhere that they’ll hire me,” elucidated White.

Central High School is honored to have the opportunity to assist two promising students to achieve their aspirations of being educators, and wishes them luck and good fortunes for their future roles in society!