Hamilton County Department of Education Plans to Increase Focus on Science Education

HAMILTON COUNTY IS WORKING TO IMPROVE SCIENCE EDUCATION -- Hamilton County Department of Education hopes introducing more  hands-on activities will improve science education

Blake Catlett

HAMILTON COUNTY IS WORKING TO IMPROVE SCIENCE EDUCATION — Hamilton County Department of Education hopes introducing more hands-on activities will improve science education

Blake Catlett, Staff Writer

Hamilton County Schools are struggling in science. Hamilton County scored a one on the Tennessee Value-Added Assessment for science; the lowest possible that can be achieved. As a result, the Hamilton County Department of Education has decided to focus more on science education.

“The Tennessee Value-Added Assessment System (TVAAS) measures student growth each year by looking at student performance in five subject areas: literacy and numeracy, science and social studies,” according to the “Times Free Press.”

Central scored five out of five on the science assessment, but overall, Hamilton County only scored a one. Due to the disappointing scores, Hamilton County Department of Education is introducing “Science Sparks!” lessons.

” ‘Science Sparks!’ is a program that is using prepared kits to help teachers educate students on certain topics.” stated Mr. Fomby, Head of the Science Department at Central.

“Science Sparks!” contains on hands-on activities and was designed by Hamilton County’s leading teachers. Teachers must go through training sessions to learn how to use the curriculum. After they complete the sessions, they receive the proper materials to teach the lessons. More than 400 teachers will go through the training sessions this year. This will benefit about 15,000 students. However, the program is going to be mainly focused on fourth grade this school year.

Hamilton County Department of Education also plans to hire lead teachers for science. These lead teachers often have had much experience in the set topic and have great leadership skills. The lead teachers will be a mentor and counselor for new and developing teachers throughout the school system.

“Central’s Science department works together in a collaborative effort to ensure that we are exposing our students to the proper content and subjects. It is our believe that this will prepare them for a bright future no matter the direction they choose.” explained Fomby.

Central’s Science Department are extremely pleased with last year’s scores. This improved focus on science education by Hamilton County Department of Education ensures that the scores will stay up.