• Ruriteen members who donated to the food drive, please see Mrs. Rast.

• Donate to Central's Food Drive from Nov. 1 to Nov. 14! See Mrs. Rast for more information.

• Help Central's Model United Nations Delegation by donating at bit.ly/CentralSHSMUN

Shifting Weather Poses Concerns For Student’s Safety

SHIFTING WEATHER POSES CONCERNS FOR STUDENT'S SAFETY-- Snow, sleet, ice, and cold  temperatures makes venturing to school dangerous.

Kaylee York

SHIFTING WEATHER POSES CONCERNS FOR STUDENT'S SAFETY-- Snow, sleet, ice, and cold temperatures makes venturing to school dangerous.

Kaylee York, Staff Writer

It seems to happen every year. Students get up and go to school like any other day, but then is cancelled early because of rain, sleet, ice, or snow. Students are put in danger due to unsafe travel conditions.

Over the past few weeks, the weather has been fluctuating with higher-than-normal temperatures for what should be winter, and lows in the single digits. Hamilton County Schools were closed for four days due to dangerous conditions.

As the weather continues to shift, students hold their breaths in anticipation for the occasional dusting of snow, which would lead to school closures.

”I want it to be colder so it can snow,” elucidated Junior Alexis Massengale, not knowing school would be canceled most of the following week due to snow.

Some students were glad to have the three extra days off, but others were concerned with how it would affect test scores and study habits. Many forgot what they had learned the four days before the extended weekend.

“Honestly, I think that the three day break was unnecessary. It’s always good to get out of school for snow or cold weather, but it definitely broke me out of my study habits a bit. I know that catching up on assignments was the last thing on people’s minds, and though I did spend that break catching up, I know that many did not,” interjected Junior Cassidy Dummer.

Now that the weather looks more promising, with the daily temperatures reaching high 60’s, maybe Mother Nature will make up her mind about this ambiguous weather.

About the Contributor
Kaylee York, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Kaylee, and I am a senior here at Central. My hobbies include reading and writing, and I am also a part of the Central Sound of Chattanooga's...