Central Digest Joins Southern Interscholastic Press Association

CENTRAL DIGEST JOINS SOUTHERN INTERSCHOLASTIC PRESS ASSOCIATION -- Abby Young, a staff writer, works on her latest article.

Dylan Muccino

CENTRAL DIGEST JOINS SOUTHERN INTERSCHOLASTIC PRESS ASSOCIATION — Abby Young, a staff writer, works on her latest article.

Dylan Muccino, Staff Writer

Over the last few years, the Central Digest has made strides as an award-winning publication at both the state and national levels. However, they are hoping to show off their work on a different scale. This year, they have joined Southern Interscholastic Press Association (SIPA) based at the University of South Carolina in Columbia. The association holds contests every year where the different publications can enter stories and SIPA declares the best in each category.

“This year the Central Digest joined the Southern Interscholastic Press Association (SIPA) for the first time ever. This organization is a comprehensive journalism association that includes member schools from South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and North Carolina. We are the first school from Tennessee to join,” stated Gregory Cantrell, The Central Digest staff advisor.

There are many different categories than previous competitions that the Digest has entered. Cantrell believes that there are many great writers on the journalism staff and that they have a excellent chance of winning this year.

“For the previous six years, we have been members of the Tennessee High School Press Association. This year, we decided as a staff that SIPA was a better fit for us and was more prestigious, as well. In my opinion, THSPA seems more focused on private schools. I think SIPA is a better fit for us,” confirmed Cantrell.

Preston Fore, the Editor-in-Chief of the Central Digest, is also a strong believer in SIPA being the right press association to join. Preston has already begun to get competition materials ready by staff writers rereading articles and making perfection edits.

“We deciding to join SIPA in hope to expand and learn as a journalism publication and maybe even win a competition to show off work of writers, who post on a day to day basis,” replied Fore.

The staff is competing against schools from all over the south. That makes the award much more impressive for anyone who wins.