Hamilton County Implements New Mental Health Curriculum

Back to Article
Back to Article

HAMILTON COUNTY IMPLEMENTS NEW MENTAL HEALTH CURRICULUM -- Hamilton County implements a new mental health curriculum to better assist students with their transition to adulthood.

Danae Wnuk

Danae Wnuk

Danae Wnuk

Danae Wnuk, Staff Writer

The Hamilton County Counseling Department has initialized a new method of preparing students academically and emotionally for higher education and successful careers. The new program intends to record interventions with students by collecting data from the school’s counselling department.

The curriculum is a multi-tiered system which aims to meet the academic and behavioral needs of each student.

The main focus of the 2019-2020 school year is Tier 1: support and core instructions, which all students receive. The county will be enforcing school-wide procedures such as classroom guidance, individual student planning, as well as district programs and activities. The goal of this program is to enhance student education by addressing student mental health.

“Students go through so much academically, socially and emotionally in their four years of high school. Education on mental health and ways to advocate for yourself are very important,” explained Mrs. Shea Vetterick, Central’s senior class advisor. “Reaching students school-wide can definitely shift the perspective on mental health and self care to reduce the negative stigma.”

Students were briefed last week regarding how to deal with stress during a meeting led by Mrs. Vetterick. At the end of the meeting, they were given free stress balls. They were also told to draw a face on a post-it note depicting how they were feeling at the moment. On the back of the note they were instructed to draw a check mark if they needed to meet in private with Mrs. Vetterick, an “”X” if they did not need an intervention, and a question mark if they were unsure.

“It felt like a sign, because people in my last class were having a meltdown,” said one senior student, Mayra Salgado. “It was absolutely needed, and I hope that [the school] pay[s] more attention to [its] students’ mental health.”