Sarah Katheron Latham

2019 CAREER EVENT GIVES STUDENTS A VALUABLE INSIGHT INTO THE WORKFORCE — Donovon Armour is with Thomas Fairfield explaining what his job is like at the National Guard to Central Students.

2019 Career Event Gives Students a Valuable Insight into the Workforce

On November 13, Central’s students got the opportunity to hear from a multitude representatives from various companies and organizations located in the Chattanooga area. These individuals were able to explain their occupations and the requirements for such positions during the annual Career Event hosted by Edgenuity and French II instructor James Snyder.

“I work with people of all ages and all types of disabilities. Our goal is to make people independent and match people with tools to help them be independent, whether that be at home, school, or work,” said Ezra Reynolds from Signal Centers.

Throughout the day, guest speakers were allowed to rotate to each classroom, and from pod to pod, to give a presentation on the business that they were part of, as well as give an overview of what various job titles entail.

Once each speaker finished discussing how they discovered their passion and attained the experience necessary to pursue their interests, the floor was open for students to ask any specific questions they had.

The organizations in attendance included Regions Bank, The Chattanooga Zoo, The U.S. Military, Rock City, Walmart, and even the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

James Hatcher, representative of Chattanooga Mobile Notary, explained how his company can assist patrons with a multitude of important documents including wills, power of attorney, and even real estate papers.

“We will come to your house or a neutral setting, such as a coffee shop [to assist you,]” said Hatcher.

He mentioned that individuals in nursing homes really benefit from the company’s services, as his employees can commute to them. As owner of the notary, Hatcher likes being able to get involved by informing others of the work he does through networking opportunities such a small the school’s Career Event.

Reynolds, having earned an engineering degree, recalled how he originally started out as a volunteer at Signal Centers before transferring to a paid position. The organization had a partnership with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga in which students would design a project that could assist those with disabilities. The usage of engineering and technology for such medical devices really resonated with Reynolds.

“We are driven by a desire to help people with disabilities,” revealed Reynolds. “People come in with a teacher, occupational therapy, electrical engineering, or evens  psychology background.”

All in all, the day was a great time for students to learn more about how they should pursue their careers as well as gain exposure to a variety of real-world applications for various college degrees.

“Each year, the event is student-ran, and I was very pleased with the job that this year’s student volunteers did with keeping everything in order,” concluded Snyder.

Gallery: 2019 Career Event

The Central Digest • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Central Digest Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *