Hamilton County Schools Extend Shutdown Date to April 24 and Implement Student Resources

March 26, 2020

HAMILTON COUNTY SCHOOLS EXTEND SHUTDOWN DATE AND IMPLEMENT STUDENT RESOURCES -- The county is providing resources like student meal deliveries, help hotlines, device pickup, and low cost internet options to help ease the stress of online learning and isolation for parents and students.

via Getty Images

HAMILTON COUNTY SCHOOLS EXTEND SHUTDOWN DATE AND IMPLEMENT STUDENT RESOURCES — The county is providing resources like student meal deliveries, help hotlines, device pickup, and low cost internet options to help ease the stress of online learning and isolation for parents and students.

Recently, the entire country has felt the effect of the chaos originating from the quickly-spreading coronavirus pandemic. Stores have been out of stock, restaurants have closed dine-in services, and many large events have been cancelled. One of the largest groups of people to feel the effects of the outbreak are students. In-person schooling has been shutdown, and entire curriculums have been moved online in many counties across the U.S., including Hamilton County.

Last week, Hamilton County announced that it would be shutting down schools until March 30. Many students were upset about the return date, as the county was planning to move spring break from early April to the last week of March, which conflicted with many students’ scheduled plans. However, on March 24, it was announced that the school closures would be extended to April 24 in order to avoid any changes to the yearly school calendar and keep all members of the county safe.

In order to keep students calm during the sudden and chaotic change, Central High School, as well as Hamilton County, is providing resources to ease the adjustment into online schooling.

One of the main resources Central is providing are a school counselor websites to easily provide information to students, as well as keep them informed while out of school.

“My goal with the website was to create a place for 10th and 11th grade students to find support and information all in one place. I will also be using it to put up articles, printable items, other helpful resources for my kiddos. I wanted to make a one-stop-shop for my students to find what they need without having to constantly be looking in their emails for links or information I had sent,” shared Central’s 10th and 11th grade school counselor Chelsea Thornhill.

In addition, Central has provided bins outside of the school to allow students to drop off their work. The drop-off bin and school office are open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m .,and teachers are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

DayOnna Carson
TURN-IN BINS ARE LOCATED DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE SCHOOL ENTRANCE —
To the left of the office doors, students can turn in any scholarships, homework, or documents in the designated bins.

The county has implemented programs such as help hotlines, low-cost internet options, and student device pickup. One of the most beneficial programs being implemented is student meal delivery. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, buses will use select routes to drop off meals to students and families. Meal pickup is also available at select schools in the county. The bus routes and schools offering meal pickup are listed on the Hamilton County Department of Education’s website.

“I feel like the programs are a massive help to the students and families. Each student is able to stay caught up with the work they’re missing, and students that rely on school for meals are getting them if needed,” shared Junior R’Iana Taylor.

Overall, counties and schools across the country are taking the extra step in order to keep students and parents well informed and provided for during these difficult times of isolation. More updates and information on school closures and resources can be found on Hamilton County’s website and contact information for teachers and faculty members can be found on Central’s directory.

View Comments (16)

The Central Digest • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• T

Taylor HearrellApr 2, 2020 at 4:33 PM

I find this online learning to be very difficult. I feel like I need a teacher in front of me showing me what I need to do. This mostly applies to math. I’m grateful that teachers can find the materials we need, but I just prefer being at school to learn. Working at home I have so many distractions.

• J

Jacob EddyApr 2, 2020 at 2:54 PM

Given the circumstances, I think Hamilton County is doing a good job handling this situation. Also, we as a school are doing a good job.

• A

Ashley ColemanApr 2, 2020 at 12:23 PM

School will most likely remain close and that worries me because were losing so much time for juniors to prepare for senior year. And seniors are running out of time to finish the year strong.

• A

Austin LawyerApr 1, 2020 at 1:34 PM

I believe that extending the closing of schools is necessary in order to help slow the spread of Corona. But to many students including myself find it hard to adjust to the new style of learning. Unfortunately we do not have many options so we are all going to have to “suck it up, buttercup”.

• N

Nathan WellingtonApr 1, 2020 at 12:19 PM

How will the ACT be affected by the virus. I wish that it would stop so that my life could go back to normal. The virus is going to affect all of this year. 2020 was supposed to be a good year.

• K

Kassy GriffithMar 31, 2020 at 4:24 PM

How would the ACT and eoc exams be affected by the postponing of school? Will this mean that the ACT will be doubled our senior year or will we have to take it over the summer?

• M

Melody KingMar 31, 2020 at 4:11 PM

How will this affect ACT’s?

• J

John (Will) GoldenMar 31, 2020 at 2:46 PM

Wow this is crazy, I really feel like they will be shutting down schools for the rest of the year because of how crazy everything is getting. And one day I was at work and a customer that I was bagging for told me that they are a doctor and that the worst is still yet to come.

• E

Eric milchakMar 31, 2020 at 2:12 PM

school will most likely remain closed, but i wonder if they will open back up?

• T

Tanysha WareMar 31, 2020 at 12:26 PM

I think it’s a good idea for the students to be out of school, because this virus isn’t a joke and it spreads very fast. I really do miss school though.

• Z

Zoey GreeneMar 30, 2020 at 7:33 PM

The virus that we are dealing with has definitely changed the way the rest of the year will play out. AP tests are online and regular end of course exams are likely going to be canceled. It has been a lot of stress on everyone, but Hamilton County is doing the best they can to ensure proper schooling.

• B

Bassam FalehMar 30, 2020 at 12:00 PM

Given the research I’ve done about the virus, the earliest this virus could be contained is three months with continued restrictions after the containment. I think we won’t come be back to school any time soon and this shutdown date will keep being pushed back.

• D

Daja IsomMar 30, 2020 at 11:59 AM

As I said on other article related to being out of school, I don’t like it at all. I was happy when they said we can return on April 13, but when they changed it, i was upset because all these class assignments from 7 different classes and it’s actually more work than what we’ll get if we were in school.

• E

Erin BellMar 30, 2020 at 11:25 AM

I think it is very important during this time to give out those breakfast and lunch sacks because, school is the only resource of food for some people.

• M

Morgan WattsMar 30, 2020 at 11:24 AM

How are the ACT, EOCs, and finals going to be affected by this extended closure? Or if school is canceled until the end of the year?

• J

Joey WootanMar 30, 2020 at 11:20 AM

I can’t see school coming back any time this year… many doctors are saying that it won’t even be back until maybe november! ahh all this is so crazy :c

16