Time Spans on Scholarships Become Longer Over The Pandemic

TIME SPANS ON SCHOLARSHIPS BECOME LONGER OVER THE PANDEMIC -- Stacy Alexander and Grant Scutt are elbowing to rejoice in the reception of an Alumni Scholarship.

Sarah Katheron Latham

TIME SPANS ON SCHOLARSHIPS BECOME LONGER OVER THE PANDEMIC — Stacy Alexander and Grant Scutt are elbowing to rejoice in the reception of an Alumni Scholarship.

Zoey Greene, Staff Writer

As the COVID-19 pandemic slowly declines, the offers for scholarships are still running crazy. From the usual paper applications to the current electronic ones, the Central High School Alumni Association is making every effort to accommodate student needs.

The Association has decided to extend the deadline for pickup by a year. When the pandemic hit, it stunted a lot of graduates’ plans. Students who were supposed to go out of state and pay room and board no longer needed the extra money. Traditionally, the scholarship was added to the student’s account through the school they were enrolled in. In order for the payment to go through, the individual had to submit a form of enrollment. Most of the 2020 graduates have not been able to use their money, so instead of them losing it, the association decided to extend their deadline by another year.

This is not the only deadline that has been extending. In light of the current global status, most scholarships are also extending their application deadlines.

“Most of the scholarship deadlines have been extended for a few weeks simply because of COVID.  They have also put a lot more online. The same scholarships are out there, but students aren’t applying for as many simply because they aren’t used to everything being online,” reported Senior College Advisor Stacy Alexander.

With the deadlines getting pushed back and the forms becoming almost 100% online, there is no doubt that this year’s senior class has more pathways to attain free money than ever before.

The Alumni Association that Central has is the main giver of scholarships to the seniors. The group gives $30,000 to graduates every year. President Buffy Hoge explained the current status of the scholarships this year.

“We are doing some clarifications to ensure seniors understand and are comfortable with the application process. The forms will be distributed electronically by Stacy Alexander. The due date will be in mid-March,” said Hoge.

No matter what has happened over the past year, it is evident that Central’s alumni grieve with their fellow Pounders. They are trying their best to support and encourage students through the act of giving free money. Scholarships can be tedious to apply for, but in the end, they are always worth it. Extended deadlines call for an increase in senior applications for scholarships.

In the words of Stacy Alexander, “There is free money to be had and seniors should always take advantage of getting it.”