Central Students Take Benchmarks in Midst of Online Learning

Sarah Katheron Latham

CENTRAL STUDENTS TAKE BENCHMARKS IN THE MIDST OF ONLINE LEARNING — An English 9 student reviews their first benchmark test of the semester.

Bailey Brantingham, Editor

Over the course of this year, many schools have done the best that they can to make the school year feel like normal. Hosting clubs and sporting events as often as possible are just some of the ways that teachers and staff are doing their best to try and make students feel comfortable and safe in the middle of a school year during a worldwide pandemic. However, along with the fun events and clubs comes necessary testing and benchmarks. This year, Hamilton County made no exception regarding state benchmarks for students, even with many students choosing online learning.

“Personally, I don’t like taking all the tests. I feel like we should just take tests within our classes instead,” explained Junior Calli Morgan, who took the online Algebra 2 benchmark.

Many teachers assert the importance of benchmarks, claiming that they are necessary for the county to be able to measure the level of learning that different students have received.

Central’s instructional coach, Brielle Farrow, shared her opinion on the necessity of benchmarks, explaining, “Benchmarks are always important as they are used to measure student learning and content mastery.”

Many students have expressed their concern on how benchmarks would be taken this semester. Most students, online and in-person, were relieved to find out that benchmarks would be taken online this year for student safety through Classlink and MasteryConnect.

All benchmarks will be delivered digitally this semester. We have already completed benchmark one and will be taking benchmark two the week of March 16-26,” elaborated Farrow.

Originally, the first round of benchmarks were set to all be taken before winter break. These benchmarks were being taken on Central’s campus, regardless of students’ learning type at the time. However, Hamilton County’s sudden shift into Phase One meant that these benchmarks had to be postponed. These tests were able to completed shortly after the start of the second semester.

The second round of benchmarks will take place in mid-March; the schedule has yet to be released.

“Central students continue to excel on benchmarks and EOC tests. We look forward to continued success this semester,” encouraged Farrow.

Through trying times, many students have lost hope and motivation. Central’s teachers and staff remind all students to take care of themselves, continue to do their best, and stay safe throughout the pandemic.