Brett Parrott is November’s Teacher of the Month

BRETT+PARROTT+IS+NOVEMBERS+TEACHER+OF+THE+MONTH+--+Luke+Keown+and+Amber+Burchfield+awarding+Mr.Parrott+with+the+Teacher+of+the+Month+certificate.+

Karleigh Schwarzl

BRETT PARROTT IS NOVEMBER’S TEACHER OF THE MONTH — Luke Keown and Amber Burchfield awarding Mr.Parrott with the Teacher of the Month certificate.

MacKenzie Farner, Staff Writer

Another month at Central means a new teacher of the month, and this month, students have chosen History Teacher Brett Parrott.

Parrott has been teaching for four years and has taught at Central for all four years of his teaching career. This year, Parrott is teaching World History and African American History as well as being the head coach for Central’s Cross Country team and the assistant coach for the Track team.

During his time as a teacher some of his favorite memories have been getting to know his students and forming meaningful relationships with them, but before being a teacher at Central, Parrott was  a student who was inspired to be a teacher by his A.P. U.S. History teacher Shawn Seals.

“I had a great teacher in high school (Mr. Seals) who really inspired me. It was also a profession I felt called to by God. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do going into college, so I prayed about it and God immediately filled my head with memories from being in Mr. Seals class my junior year at Central. When that happened, I said to myself, ‘I want to be a teacher like him.’ Then the rest was history,” commented Parrott.

His experience as a teacher has been drastically different from his experience as a student in a major way he now understands the challenges his teachers faced when they taught him and his classmates, and that there is a lot more work that goes into teaching than people would think, and since the COVID-19 pandemic even more thought has gone into teaching. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, Parrott has changed is teaching style to become more of an online educator as well as working to provide students with every opportunity to succeed and tries to be as easy-going and approachable as possible.

“Mr.Parrott is a teacher who is devoted to his students. He is organized and always has the best interest of his students in mind. When Mr.Parrott teaches history, his students can tell that he has a passion for the subject that he teaches,” expressed Seals.