Central Adopts More Than 50 Angels From Salvation Army’s Angel Tree

CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL JROTC ANGEL TREE TICKETS– The tree is beginning to fill with presents as Christmas nears.

Chloee Cannon, Staff Writer

For the first time in several years, Central High School received angel tickets from the Salvation Army Angel Tree. The Angel Tree program helps children who may not get presents during the holidays.

“This year, we adopted 52 angels from the tree,” explained Master Sgt. Michael Dupree. “The demand exceeded our supply but we were able to meet the additional request.” The angels were adopted this year thanks to many of Central’s teachers, administrators, and JROTC cadets.

“While we know Christmas is not all about gifts, we should ask ourselves how we might feel if we never received a gift under the tree at Christmas. Better yet, if you were unable to provide that “need” or “want” for your child at Christmas,” he added. “Sadly, in our community this is a reality so we asked Central to do their part in taking one or more Angel Tree Tickets so that  these children did not go without this year.”

The idea of bringing the Angel Tree to Central High came from Central’s JROTC instructors. Faculty and students around the school believe the Angel Tree program brings joy during the holidays. This gives others the chance at Central High to make a difference and help someone in need out for Christmastime.

Senior Jack Graham felt the Angel Tree gives the JROTC and others chances to help and support those who are in need during the Christmas season.

“We really want to help as many people as possible to show our care for the community,” shared Graham

Sophomore Ashley Frias-Cruz also stated that she believes doing something special and putting a smile on a face is the best part of the Angel Tree Program.

“I believe putting a smile on someone’s face and helping someone who’s in need spreads the joy of Christmas,” stated Frias-Cruz.

Central’s cadets also had the opportunity to volunteer at the Salvation Army’s warehouse to help organize and sort the Angel Tree gifts coming in from all over the region.

Alongside Frias-Cruz, others in JROTC feel that involving themselves to help others is the right thing to do. Sophomore Keira Sims perceives that getting to work with people who are less fortunate to help them is a blessing.

“Helping others brings joy to not only others but makes me feel good,” mentioned Sims.