CHS Students Perform with Lee University’s Honor Choir

Donated to the Digest

CHS STUDENTS PERFORM WITH LEE UNIVERSITY’S HONOR CHOIR — Central students in Lee University’s Honor Choir

Carson Simms, Staff Writer

This year the Lee Honor Choir is back and in full swing once again since February of last year. The Lee Honor Choir is an annual event where high schools students get to participate in Lee University’s Honor Choir. This year, our very Central High School students will be performing on Lee University’s stage in this choir.
“This year we are taking 16 students, ranging from 9-12 grades to the event. These students are chosen to participate in the Lee Honor Choir by their directors.  My criteria to choose students were three things:  musical ability, behavior, and positive attitudes.”, Sarah Katheron noted.
Over 15 schools from 4 different states are participating in the Honor Choir this year. Students practiced all day Friday, Feb. 11, then returned to their homes Friday of that evening.  Saturday, they returned to Lee University to begin rehearsing again at 8:30 a.m. Students not only get to participate in the choir, but they also get to tour the college campus and get the feel of the college.
One of Central High School’s students, Dwayne Middleton is recognized for performing an outstanding solo performance onstage during the event.
Dr. Cameron Weatherford, Assistant Professor of Choral Music at Lee University in Cleveland, and Dr. Meg Stohlmann, Assistant Professor in the Hayes School of Music, at Appalachian State University in Boone, N. C. will be the guest conductors for the honor choir event. Dr. Weatherford working with the girls and Dr. Stohlmann with the boys.
The final concert was presented on the Lee University Campus at the Conn Center on Saturday. Overall, the students had an amazing performance at the University and look forward to participating again next year.