Central’s Sammie Jones Awarded Joe Worden Clinic/Professional Athletic Trainer of the Year

CENTRALS+SAMMIE+JONES+AWARDED+JOE+WORDEN+CLINIC%2F+ATHLETIC+TRAINER+OF+THE+YEAR+--+Jones+pictured+in+a+graphic.+

Luke Keown

CENTRAL’S SAMMIE JONES AWARDED JOE WORDEN CLINIC/ ATHLETIC TRAINER OF THE YEAR — Jones pictured in a graphic.

Luke Keown, Sports Editor

Sammie Jones, M.Ed, LAT, ATC, ITAT was recently awarded the Joe Worden Clinic/Professional Athletic Trainer of the Year Award. Jones was presented this prestigious award at the 2022 Tennessee Athletic Trainers’ Society Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium.

After graduating from Columbine High School in 2011, Jones attended Northern Kentucky University and received a Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training. After that, she attended Mercer University and earned her Master’s of Education in Higher Educational Leadership. For the past six years, Jones has served as the athletic trainer at Central High and made numerous meaningful connections with athletes and coaches along the way.

Head baseball coach and assistant football coach Glen Carter explained, “She is a super hard working person that deserves the award. When you work hard at what you do, it is recognized and rewarded and she is the perfect example of that.” The tenured coach went on to say, “She never misses a home game and really cares about what is going on up here.”

After being announced as the winner of the award presented by the Tennessee Athletic Trainer’s Society, Jones served as the guest speaker for Central’s fall and winter sports banquet.

“She does a lot to help our athletes and teams,” noted Central football coach Curt Jones. “We trust her to make solid judgments about the safety of our student athletes. You can put a value on having someone like that.”

Before letters were presented to the graduating varsity athletes, the Littleton, Colorado native explained, “I am glad to be in an environment that is so supportive — from kids, to parents, to coaches, and the administration — you guys are the reason that I can do my job and do the best for the kids day in and day out.”

The prestigious award was named after Joe Worden, a highly regarded former athletic trainer for Vanderbilt University. Worden has been inducted as a member of the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame and National Athletic Trainers’ Association Hall of Fame. The award given out in his honor and memory is presented annually to an athletic trainer working in an industrial or clinical setting.

Previous award winners of importance include 2018 winner, Andy Hosler, MS, ATC, USAW-LISP of the Nashville Predators. Another previous winner of the Worden ATOY award is the 2017 winner, Jerome Reid, MS, ATC, LAT of the Tennessee Titans.