‘Herzliche Glückwünsche!’ to Frau. Dobbs, Class of 2022 Dedicatory

FRAU. DOBBS HONORED AS CLASS OF 2022 DEDICATORY -- After 27 years in education, Frau. Mariea Dobbs was selected as the 2022 class dedicatory.

Donated to the Digest

FRAU. DOBBS HONORED AS CLASS OF 2022 DEDICATORY — After 27 years in education, Frau. Mariea Dobbs was selected as the 2022 class dedicatory.

Katie Garnand, Staff Writer

If Mrs. Mariea Dobbs, longtime German teacher at Central High, had one thing to say to this year’s senior class, it might be “Herzliche Glückwünsche.” That same phrase, which means “congratulations” in German could also apply to her as she was named the 2022 class dedicatory.

Dobbs was recognized by the class of 2022 at Senior Night held on Friday, May 13, and took a few minutes to reflect on her career and time at Central High.

In fact, Monday is my favorite day because it has the most possibilities.

— Frau. Mariea Dobbs, Central High German teacher

“First you imagine, then you work towards that,” Dobbs said, noting that an imagination is a power tool that can lead to great things.

“Imagine That” was not only the theme for Senior Night, but it was the topic Dobbs spoke about.

“I chose this because I like to take a positive attitude,” she explained. “In fact, Monday is my favorite day because it has the most possibilities.”

Each year the senior class votes to select a teacher to be its class dedicatory. In order to be eligible for this honor, teachers must have taught at Central for 10 years. The yearbook of the year in which they are chosen is dedicated to them, and they are chosen to represent the senior class by speaking during senior night. A teacher can only be the dedicatory once.

“I remember watching all of you in your purple polos, dreaming of a day you wouldn’t get lost around the school,” she pointed out. “Now, here you are as seniors about to graduate.”

Mrs. Dobbs has been teaching for 27 years and arrived at Central in January of 1999. She spoke of her pride for the 2022 senior class, and the obstacles they have had to overcome during their high school years. They have had to deal with principal changes, the COVID-19 pandemic, and having to learn online when school was closed.

“She’s an excellent choice considering she really does understand the senior class and cares for her students,” said Cordelia Araiza, a senior. She added that she was going to miss her, but was  glad that Mrs. Dobbs was the one that got to represent her senior class.