Students Take Vote On New Dress Code For Next School Year

Sarah Katheron Latham

NEW DRESS CODE ENFORCEMENT POLICY PROMPTS VARYING RESPONSES FROM TEACHERS AND STUDENTS — The Central dress code consists of khaki pants, grade level colored polo, and school colored and approved outerwear.

Meryl Turner, Staff Writer

Many students at Central High School disapprove of the current dress code. Administrators require students to wear khakis along with a polo of the assigned color for their grade. Freshmen wear purple, Sophomores and Juniors wear white, and Seniors wear navy blue polo shirts. You can view Central’s dress code on the school’s website, or click here to go straight to the document.

Students didn’t hesitate to speak their opinion on the dress code when asked.

“It’s strange how the different colors are in place with different grades. It puts everyone in different situations. For example, freshmen get a lot of hate [from upperclassmen], and get teased [for wearing] purple.” -Brayden Poythress, a junior, informed The Digest.

Many parents, students, and staff have even talked to the administration about possibly changing the dress code. Fortunately, their complaints did not fall upon deaf ears. On May 10, Principal Phil Iannarone sent out an email to Central families and staff: “This week our students will have the opportunity to vote on the dress code for next year. [The] updated dress code and school handbook can be viewed on our school website beginning May 20.”

Students were able to choose between three different sets of potential dress code rules;

The first option being the current requirements for this school year.

• Your typical khaki pants or shorts
  • Standard grade colored polos

The second option had only proposed a few changes.

• Gold, black, and gray shirts would be added to the list of acceptable colors for polos, hoodies, jackets, and pullovers.
  • Students would be able to wear khaki or black pants, slacks, and shorts. Woven, standard, or cargo material only.
  • Any Central-themed sweatshirts, T-shirts long or short sleeves with or without a collar would be permitted.
  • Students must have on a dress code collared shirt under all outerwear.

The third option included significantly more changes.

• Button-up oxford style dress shirt/blouse with a collar would be allowed. Students can only wear the colors listed above.
  • Students would be able to wear khaki, black, or army/olive green colored pants, slacks, and shorts. Woven, standard, or cargo material only.
  • Students must have on an appropriate shirt with or without a collar underneath all outerwear.
  • Crocs out of “sports mode” and slides are okay only in this option.

As expected by teachers, students seem to favor the third option more so than the others. Teachers shared their varying opinions on the situation, as well as their predictions on how the voting and dress code for the next school year will go. Here is what some of them had to say:

“I think if students can abide by the dress code then we should change. However, these last few weeks of school have demonstrated that students are not being respectful of the current dress code, and past behavior is an indicator of future behavior. If there is flexibility with the dress code, students will push against it, which may cause the administration to rescind the flexible dress code and go back to our original dress code. Ultimately, the faculty/staff/administration want the students to enjoy their time here at Central, but part of that is following the rules. Even the faculty has a dress code that we abide by.” -Mr. Adam Fletcher

“I honestly don’t think it will matter. Students will always break a dress code and then complain when their transgressions lead us back to a stricter dress code.” -Mr. Edward Potter

“I think a change in our dress code could be a good thing as long as students are willing to stick to looser guidelines.
My worry is that some students will take the relaxed dress code too far, and end up making an issue out of something and taking away from the primary focus of the school.  I do think though that most of our students are good, well-mannered people who will understand the gift this opportunity is and won’t take it for granted by purposely messing up.”
-Mrs. April Hashe