Central High has Received a $350 Grant for New AED (Automated External Defibrillator)

Keaton Hesson

CENTRAL HIGH IS GIVEN A $350 GRANT FOR THE NEW AED (AUTOMATED EXTERNAL DEFIBRILLATOR)- Pictured above is one of the AEDs found in the gym at Central High School.

Ryan Brown, Staff Writer

Schools in the state of Tennessee are now required to have an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) in the building. Since the passing of a student at Baylor School, due to a cardiac incident, the state now requires schools to have an AED in case of an emergency. Due to this decision, Central High School has decided to purchase a new device for the 2022-23 school year. The cost of a new AED is $1,350, but the state has given a $350 grant to help out with the payment. With the $350 grant given to the school, the Central High Alumni Association generously donated $1,000 to cover the rest of the cost of the device.

Barney and Martha Faye, members of the Central High Alumni Association, donated $1,000 to the school for the AED. This device is needed in the school in case of any cardiac emergency. The job of an AED is to shock the patent exhibiting signs of cardiac arrest. The device delivers an electrical shock to the heart to restore its normal rhythm.

Sophomore Landon Crawford shared, “I feel much safer at school knowing we have an AED in case of any emergency that may occur.”

With this medical device in schools, teachers and staff are required to attend a training seminar to properly learn how to operate the machine. There are currently three AED devices found at Central in case any situation occurs. One is found in the gym, one in the cafeteria, and one by the front entrance doors.

“The AED is needed in case any staff or students suffer from a cardiac emergency and needs their heart to restart. Central has yet to use the device, but the machine is in the building if a need for it occurs,” stated Central’s nurse Mrs. Kim.

With the money now donated to the school, Central can be prepared for any incident to take place. The school will now have even more devices around the building to help at any time. Students and staff feel much safer knowing Central has the proper equipment in case of any catastrophe that may arise.