Editorial: Ticket Prices, Lack of Rivalry Hurting School Spirit

EMPTY BLEACHERS -- The empty bleachers are a sign of no school spirit.

EMPTY BLEACHERS — The empty bleachers are a sign of no school spirit.

Samantha Scott, Staff Writer

Central Pounder signs, purple and gold apparel, loud and proud cheers – each of these can be found at Central sporting events throughout the year. But do the main supporters of our school’s athletics consist of students, or of parents of players? Multiple Central students commented on several sports’ schedules, pointing out the how uninformed they were on game times and locations. According to recent polls from diverse high schools and football and baseball coach Glen Carter, the size of crowds at sporting events corresponds with success.

“If you’re winning, more kids are going to come out and watch. If you’re not winning, you probably won’t get people in the stands,” Carter explained.

This statement can be proven true when one considers the huge crowds that followed Central’s basketball and softball teams to Murfreesburo, TN, for the state tournaments this past year. Numerous polls suggest that motivation and confidence are strong results of being cheered on. Therefore, students and faculty could positively impact players just by showing encouragement after a win or loss.

“If it’s a loss [and] you still get to see all your students coming out and supporting teams, it makes you feel good about your school. Wins would be good [for the school], but sometimes just having a tremendous spirit section is really great,” junior supporter Noah Page commented, who goes to almost all scheduled games.

Another important thought still remains – what are some factors that would make students want to come out and support their school? Some teachers mentioned rivalries between different schools and how more intense games tend to draw in larger crowds.

“A lot of rivalry games are more competitive, kind of neck-and-neck. People like to watch those,” Noah agreed.

Outrageous ticket prices also contribute highly to the sparse crowds. Very few students are willing to pay over $3 to get into an hour-long sporting event.

“Discounted tickets or days when games are free would probably help people come. Maybe having themes – a lot of people like those. That’d give them a bigger incentive to come, too,” school pep rally leader Jared Eddy suggested.

Overall, school spirit throughout Central could definitely be improved. Through successful seasons, occasional cheaper games, and more announcements about events ahead of time, Central pride would  likely become more popular within the student body. Boys and girls of each grade would have a better connection and sense of belonging if we could all come together as a school. Win or lose, we are all Central Pounders!