Traveling Abroad: Good Times and Valuable Lessons

CENTRAL STUDENTS LOVE TO TRAVEL -- Traveling abroad is a great experience for high school students to learn about global cultures!

Hannah Stone

CENTRAL STUDENTS LOVE TO TRAVEL — Traveling abroad is a great experience for high school students to learn about global cultures!

Hannah Stone, Columnist

At Central High School, students have endless opportunities to excel and grow. One of the most recent developments in student life has been Central’s world-traveling group. Led by Kevin Parsons, the “Harrison Globe-Trotters” toured England in the summer of 2015. With plans to continue traveling in the future, the group is a fantastic opportunity for Central students to experience cultures different from their own. While some parents are wary to let their children travel abroad at a young age, students learn social skills that will prove vital in their increasingly globalized world.

Through the internet and mass media, we have become closer to previously limited cultures and countries. Learning about different cultures is an incredibly important thing for young people to experience. According to Katy Pollock, a senior at Central, Americans live in a very self-centric world.

“Anyone can see that throughout history there has been some sort of xenophobia,” Pollock explained. “Traveling to foreign countries can help change that.”

As youth, we are the future of the country and the world. It is important to have these experiences in order to learn to be open-minded.

Aside from the vital learning opportunities, traveling abroad is a resume-builder. Competitive jobs and career fields will often be more open to those with experience abroad because employers are looking for people with diverse life experience.

“I feel like [a study abroad program] would help me get a job as much as a degree would,” Kim Stewart, another senior at Central, expressed. After graduation she will attend college, with hopes to participate in a study abroad program.

Colleges and universities will often have scholarships available for students in order to alleviate the price tag on traveling abroad.

Although traveling is expensive, the experience is one that will last a lifetime. Every penny put into a trip will return in fantastic memories and a greater understanding of the world we live in.