Editorial: How Necessary are School Uniforms?

STUDENTS IN DAY-TO-DAY DRESS CODE -- Students in Mr. Mullins  room do their work while sporting their favorite dress code items

Kimberly Merfert

STUDENTS IN DAY-TO-DAY DRESS CODE — Students in Mr. Mullins ‘ room do their work while sporting their favorite dress code items

Hannah Walker, Staff Writer

For years, school uniforms have been hated by students, and somewhat loved by teachers and administrators. Throughout Central High School, everyone has a constant opinion on school uniforms that tend to lean a little more on the negative side.

“I think dress code has a very large influence on how students feel throughout the day,” shared Junior Saige Lowery. “Wearing my school uniform makes me feel sad honestly, but if I were able to wear my own clothes, I would be more comfortable and happy.”

Administrators constantly say that they enforce things, like school dress code, to promote a more comfortable and welcoming environment in the schools, but often times, students and teachers disagree.

“I wore blue jeans to school almost everyday and achieved a fine education, because I wanted one. It doesn’t matter what you wear, within reason, it’s how you apply yourself. I don’t feel school uniforms are necessary.” stated Mickey Robinson, Central High’s Visual Arts teacher.

School uniforms often leave students feeling uneasy and uncomfortable. Students have very little range of freedom within the dress code. Students already feel like they cannot express themselves within the confines of social norms in high school, without the added restrictions of a dress code.

“It’s a waste of money that people do not have, fabric, and closet space.” remarked Lowery.

Many students do not agree with the school dress code solely because they want to wear what they want to wear. Students have yet to embrace the dress code, and they likely never will.

Throughout the school year, plenty of students get caught out of dress code. This results is after-school detentions, in-school suspensions, and even complete suspension from school. Students miss out on quality learning time just because they are not wearing their grade level polo shirt.

“I only call someone out once or twice a day on dress code, but only if it’s extremely obvious,” admitted Robinson. “I have more pressing matters than if a student has the right color shirt or jacket on.”

Not all teachers are fans of the dress code rules, and many wholeheartedly agree with the students’ opinions on Central’s uniform policy.

“I believe we spend way too much time worrying about it. As long as a student is paying attention in my class and productively working, I really don’t care what they are wearing.” concluded Robinson.