• Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) will meet every Friday at 6:45 a.m. in the armory. Everyone is welcome to attend.

• Students interested in taking the ASVAB test in October need to see Mrs. Atkins in guidance before Thurs., Sept 21.

• Fall pictures for the yearbook have been rescheduled to Mon., Oct. 30. Order forms can be picked up from your English teacher.

Editorial: Allergies Make Students Miserable In Class

ALLERGIES MAKE STUDENTS MISERABLE IN CLASS -- Seasonal allergies cause students to feel horrible while trying to focus in class

Savannah Smith

Matthew Davis, Staff Writer

Throughout spring, the hallways of Central High School are filled with sneezing, coughing, and blowing noses. With so many beautiful flowers blooming, there is a lot of pollen in the air. Pollen is one of the most common allergens, along with dust and pet dander, causing one in every five Americans to have symptoms.

“Allergies suck! You can go from feeling great to feeling like you are dying in a day,” revealed Georgia Teems.

Seasonal allergies can not only cause a runny nose, but can be as extreme as causing headaches or nausea. These allergy symptoms can cause many problems with students’ learning, causing students to be irritable, tired, and even distracting. To combat these symptoms, sufferers can take over the counter medications, doctor prescribed medications, or even allergy shots.

“I take a lot of Tylenol Severe anytime I get congested. I also gargle saltwater and drink water with lemon and honey. It’s really gross, but it helps clear up your throat and chest,” shared Kymmy Stacks.

The worst part of seasonal allergies is that they can be caused by a multitude of things. Ragweed is the most common culprit for seasonal allergies. Burning Bush, Cocklebur, Lamb’s-quarters, Pigweed, and Sagebrush can also cause these reactions. The only way to figure out which of these triggers your symptoms, is to visit your doctor and be tested.

Allergies are something that many people suffer with, and should be taken seriously. If you see someone having problems, offer them a tissue. If you struggle with allergies, make sure to take medicine or go to the doctor and help yourself live a better, snot- free life.