Hey Students, Let’s Discuss Central High-giene

HEY STUDENTS, LETS DISCUSS CENTRAL HIGH-GENE -- Josh Thomas and Abby Parks express visible disgusts as they hold rancid socks.

Jaheim Williams

HEY STUDENTS, LET’S DISCUSS CENTRAL HIGH-GENE — Josh Thomas and Abby Parks express visible disgusts as they hold rancid socks.

Jaheim Williams, Staff Writer

As members of the human race we all have five key senses — sight, sound, touch, taste, and most importantly, smell. Smell was one of the fundamental senses that the hunter-gatherers had to use in order to catch their game. Without a scent to go by, the nomads may have never been able to sniff out their delectable chase.

Smell may also accompany safety; for example, a blind man who would have no chance of survival, if his house were on fire, would have to rely on his sense of smell to be able to detect the suffocating aroma of smoke. The impaired gentleman would be charred to a crisp if not for the distinguishable trace of ashes singeing his nose hairs, as it signals him to depart.

Although these precedents may seem beneficial on a surface level, just like a convincing infomercial, it comes with a catch. Our ability to smell may tell us things about ourselves that we may be sensitive to. For instance, if we are not properly taking care of our hygiene, a foul odor may be suggesting us to increase our number in bathes.

At Central, the faculty likes for students to strive for their very best. This requires them to achieve their academic, behavioral, and hygienic intentions for their best benefit. According to many students’ personal experiences, some students should be more educated on the golden rules of self care and sanitation.

“People just don’t take care of themselves,” divulged Junior Freedom Bell. “Everyone can really do better, we’re in high school now!”

Students have stated that they can not seem to stay focused due to some of their peers’ bodily odor.

“Well there are people who have a certain odor that makes it kind of hard to concentrate,” stated Vani Carter, a junior at Central.

Many students, particularly those of the female gender, have expressed that those who can not maintain their own public health, also have trouble keeping up with the cleanliness of the school’s bathrooms.

“It’s disgusting! There’s always a mess in the bathroom stall doors, and kids always leave the toilets dirty. It’s honestly like a pig farm,” alluded Junior Elena Salgado.

“You have to be really desperate if you have to go to the bathroom,” added Senior Valeria Mazariegos.

Junior Carl Ramsey, has brought up the fact that his associates’ stench could be the direct result of their physical education classes.

“Some people start to smell bad when they come back from gym,” Ramsey expressed.

Not all students have such heavy opinions on the matter, as long as it doesn’t affect them they are fine.

“As long as I don’t smell it I really don’t care,” Larry Bradford shared.

All in all, self care is important to the body, and is expected by our age group. Taking care of ourselves is not only beneficial to us, but to the people around us. This is only a small minority of Central’s student body being described, but they are a strong and noticeable minority. However, this is not only relevant to Central, but to all factions of society where hygiene and healthful living is key.