• Follow the Central Digest on Facebook and Twitter

Senior Will and Prophecy Tradition is Taken Away Due to Prior Incidents of Bullying

SENIOR WILL AND PROPHECY TRADITION IS TAKEN AWAY DUE TO PRIOR INCIDENTS OF BULLYING -- The senior Class of 2019 is upset that the annual reading of the will and prophecy has been discontinued.

Meghan Duncan, Sports Editor

After the start of the school year, many students have certain things that they are looking forward to. For some people, it could be the homecoming court, or it could be Friday Night Lights every week. However, for many of the seniors, they are just waiting for the moment they walk across the stage.  There are two events that come before graduation and get students excited for the end of the year: the reading of the senior will and prophecy.

Looking back at the creation of the will and prophecy, the two events were meant to be positive predictions about the future lives of students in the graduating class. The point of these activities was for the seniors to look 30 or 40 years into the future and envision what people would do or become. However, recent readings of the student led traditions have not upheld such lighthearted intentions.

“Last year’s senior class basically used it at as platform to bully each other. This activity is supposed to involve the whole class, but, instead, the will was mainly used for grievances and there was no [collective] involvement at all,” explained government teacher James Massengale, who administered the event for the past few years.

In previous years, the administrators would pick a representative from the senior class that they felt was capable of reading the documents to the entire senior and junior classes. For several years in a row now, that privilege has been taken advantage of in the eyes of administrators. The will and prophecy have to be approved beforehand, but the class representatives from previous years added things without the knowledge of faculty. These additions were typically degrading and hateful towards certain students.

When Senior Maggie Watts heard the news about the will and prophecy being taken away from the graduating class of 2019, she was disheartened.

“I feel that it shouldn’t have been taken away [since] it has always been a tradition for so long. It could have been monitored better instead of being taken away completely. I was looking forward to it, and I know a lot of the seniors were too,” admitted Watts.

A lot of students are fed up with the banning of the will and prophecy; it is not fair in the eyes of most upperclassmen.

“For it to be taken away this year is messed up because it is the one thing everyone focuses on at the end of the year. Everyone was ready and excited because we weren’t able to do it until our senior year,” stated rising senior Jaleesa Smith.

A lot of people are now wondering whether it will be taken away for good or if it will be brought back in the future for other classes.

“It just depends on the senior class and if it is decent or not,” concluded Massengale.

About the Writer
Meghan Duncan, Sports Editor

Hi, my name is Meghan Duncan. This is my third year on the staff and my second year being the sports editor. I have been cheering for 3 years at Central,...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Senior Will and Prophecy Tradition is Taken Away Due to Prior Incidents of Bullying”

1. Mark Barker on May 16th, 2019 10:29 am

If the administration cannot control this activity, the commencement should be canceled.

2. Carol Hubbuch on May 16th, 2019 12:28 pm

This is a sad state.But because of a few it alters the future for many. If people would only think before they speak or make an action. We have to take responsibility for ourselves.The last 25 years it seems people are unable to do this.There fore changes have to be made. If people would only respect themselves and other things could be better.Be kind. Class of 1968

3. Michael Wellman on May 16th, 2019 6:34 pm

As a Central alumnus (class of 97), I feel like this is perhaps both a bigger, and smaller, issue than it’s being made out to be. Part of the problem with this tradition is that who it includes is as conspicuous as who it snubs. The speaker doesn’t have to call someone out over something to make them feel bad… a person can feel bad because they weren’t mentioned at all. They can take that internally and feel as though they don’t matter. At the same time, though… it’s just words. I can’t remember anything from what was read for our class, or who it was about. It’s ephemeral, and ultimately has no real meaning or impact on a person’s life.

If I were deciding the policy, I think that policy would be to leave it in place, because the students love it for the fleeting time that they’re in that moment. But I would also leave the door open for anyone that wants to talk about it to a counselor. I don’t think it’s anyone’s job to police speech because it makes someone feel bad, but rather, to help students cope with those feelings and understand that they, like everything else, will pass.