A Disease is Infecting the Hallways of Central: Phone Obsession

A DISEASE IS INFECTING THE HALLWAYS OF CENTRAL: PHONE OBSESSION — Students deeply engrossed in their phones worry about how many likes they will receive on their latest social media post.

Ashley Coleman

Ashley Coleman, Staff Writer

Snapchat, Instagram, YouTube, and even Tik Tok are all social media platforms that consume students’ time on a daily basis. One study found that around 58% of people can not go without checking their phones. Social media is the fastest growing industry in the world, and it will not stop any time soon due to the excessive use of it by adolescents today. 

“I feel like [phones play] a major part in the lives of many teenagers today. It’s a problem that needs to be taken care of, [and I believe that steps should be taken to make] phone addictions nearly extinct,” stated Sophomore Ashauna Parrish.

The negative effects of phone usage include cyber bullying, stress, competition, procrastination, and cheating. Teachers often see them as a distraction and ban them while class is in session. 

“I honestly think [phone use] needs to be narrowed down so people can actually live their lives,” said Junior Issac Jackson.

Stress can put heavy pressure on an adolescent’s mind; excessive school work, along with social media, can be detrimental to one’s mental health.

Social media can present a false image of what someone should look like. If one does not meet those standards, they may feel as if they are not enough. Rude comments from users online can also make a person lose self confidence.

On the other hand, one could argue that phones allow the access to the internet, keep the world connected, and prove to be helpful to completing assignments. Additionally, phones can help improve safety by serving as a means of contacting emergency services.

People who feel as though they cannot survive without their phone may have may have nomophobia, which is the fear of not having your phone.

Phones are a big part of everyone’s everyday lives. They can either be of use or hindrance to their users. The best way to go about preventing unhealthy phone habits is to limit one’s time on their devices, and only use them in an appropriate setting.