Pam Mullinax, ’63, Still Sings Her Alma Mater

PAM MULLINAX STILL BOASTS HER CENTRAL PRIDE -- Central Alum, Pam Mullinax, still proudly sings her Alma Mater and still holds Central spirit in her heart!

Savannah Smith

PAM MULLINAX STILL BOASTS HER CENTRAL PRIDE — Central Alum, Pam Mullinax, still proudly sings her Alma Mater and still holds Central spirit in her heart!

Savannah Smith, Staff Writer

Pam Mullinax from the Class of’1963 is still proud to be a graduate of Central High School. Now living in Atlanta, Mullinax reflected on her wonderful times at Central.

“Of all the groups I was privileged to be in during my four years at Central, the music activities through the marching, concert, and swing bands were the most exciting and fun,” stated Mullinax.

The talented woman played the belly lyre in both marching and concert band and the piano in swing band. She had the opportunity to participate in many competitions and events that made her high school experience more memorable.

“One of the fun things we got to do in swing band was ‘take our show on the road’, so to speak. We’d get permission to leave the school for more than just lunch or band period, and our band director at the time, Mr. Morris Bales, would take us to play at one of the local junior high schools,” shared Mullinax.

Out of all the activities Mullinax was a part of, the marching band competitions were her favorite.

“Our band participated in each year’s Tri-State Band Festival. It took a lot of practice because we were judged on our playing [and] marching as well as our general effect. We usually received the highest ratings, and that made us so proud of our band and our school. It was always worth the extra work we gave it in practice,” she recalled.

Mullinax also participated in F.B.L.A., Student Council, Yearbook, and National Honor Society. In addition, she won the John Phillip Sousa Award her senior year to commemorate her excellent playing and character.

After high school, Mullinax went to Chattanooga State Community College for four years majoring in a computer career and is now retired in Atlanta.

“I enjoy living in Atlanta and spending my weekends at our cabin in the north Georgia mountains. I especially enjoy my monthly drives to Chattanooga to have lunch with a few of my classmates and other class alumni at our Central Connection luncheons, ” stated Mullinax.

Today, Pam Mullinax is still singing Central’s Alma Mater with Purple Pounder pride. She also supports the band by giving money and coming to different concerts and events to relive her Central Sound days.

“Listen to one’s heart and be honest with yourself about what you really like (and don’t like) to do. There are many forks in the path to finding a career that makes you happy and feel successful. Choose thoughtfully and wisely, and as I was told: ‘Never kick the rungs out from the ladder as you climb it, as you never know when you might need or want to climb back down,'” concluded Mullinax.