Advice: Make the Most of Our Ever-So-Short High School Years

GRADES GRADES GRADES! -- Central High School students need to start reaching for that high GPA in the beginning of their high school years.

Allie Nedeau

GRADES GRADES GRADES! — Central High School students need to start reaching for that high GPA in the beginning of their high school years.

Hannah Stone, Columnist

As we fall into the routine of the school year, it’s easy to lose track of what we are working towards – graduation.

Last year’s Salutatorian Judith Bell knows how important the first years of high school are.

“Take school seriously!” she declared. “If you mess up your first two years, you are setting yourself up for failure.”

Freshmen and sophomores, don’t think that your grades now won’t affect your chances of graduating in the next two or three years. Start preparing now.

“If freshmen and sophomores are informed about the importance of education early,” Bell insisted, “they can equip themselves with everything they need to succeed at the high school and college level.”

High school is often the time when students decide what they want to do with their lives. They have to start thinking about college and their career.

An article from The Atlantic, Ninth Grade: The Most Important Year in High School, classifies the first year of high school as the most pivotal.

“Not only are youths entering the intimidating institution that is high school, they are experiencing the usual adolescent angst and depending on poor decision-making skills,” the article stated.

There are numerous tough decisions to make and tons of pressure to make the right ones.

Kayla Walker, then Kayla Chattin, went to Central in 2012.

“Don’t worry about what people think,” advised Walker. “You only get to go to high school once; you might as well make the most of it.”

Younger students, take advantage of your high school years. Here at Central, we are surrounded by resources to help us move forward. Teachers, counselors, and even older students can help you as you find your way from here.

Star Williams, a Central graduate from 2014, concluded that younger students should “look up to their senior and junior classes, because [underclassmen] will be there one day.”