Despite Historical Image, Powder Puff Football Every Bit a True Sport

FOOTBALL ISNT JUST A MANS SPORT -- The Power Puff game gets just as intense as Friday night football at CHS. The girls proved its not just a sport for the boys!

Allie Nedeau

FOOTBALL ISN’T JUST A MAN’S SPORT — The Power Puff game gets just as intense as Friday night football at CHS. The girls proved it’s not just a sport for the boys!

Hannah Stone, Columnist

Two weeks ago, Central students gathered in the football stadium to watch an intense game of flag football. Central High School’s homecoming week is full of fun activities, including the Powder Puff football game. Although the game is often treated as a joke, these girls practiced many days after school to prepare. Some of the most talented female athletes from the junior and senior classes participated, and their impressive performance shows that Powder Puff is more than another homecoming shenanigan.

In years past, the Powder Puff game proved to be just as competitive as other sports. Last year’s game sent a girl home with a torn ACL. This year, a concussion sent another to the hospital. The energetic crowd cheered for their favorite team and groaned at foul plays and interceptions. Central’s marching band played tunes in the stands, and the all-male cheerleading squad invigorated the team and crowd. In all ways, the Powder Puff game resembled the festivities of Friday night football.

Laura Herron, the Senior Women’s Administrator at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, played Powder Puff football when she was in high school. To make women’s football a serious sport, Herron explained that it would take some serious “grassroots effort.” Colleges like UTC follow what is mandated by the NCAA, and women’s football is currently not on the list.

“All it takes is imagination,” confirmed Herron. “Years ago, women couldn’t play basketball. But now, [women’s basketball] is a very enjoyable sport.”

With some work, women’s football could be a significant force in the sports world. Central boasts an intimidating group of female athletes. Would these talented girls be interested in playing football?

“I totally would [play football]!” exclaimed Central student Kymmy Stacks.

The junior, however, has a slightly different opinion about the sport.

“I wish they allowed girls to play on the boys’ team,” she added.

Although Stacks said she would play on a women’s team, she doubts that there would be enough interest at Central for a whole team.

For Central, would an all-girl or co-ed team ever be possible? At the Powder Puff game, Central’s female athletes showed that women’s football could be successful and enjoyable at the high school level. With some work, these girls could easily make women’s football a reality at Central High School.