• Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) will meet every Friday at 6:45 a.m. in the armory. Everyone is welcome to attend.

• Students interested in taking the ASVAB test in October need to see Mrs. Atkins in guidance before Thurs., Sept 21.

• Fall pictures for the yearbook have been rescheduled to Mon., Oct. 30. Order forms can be picked up from your English teacher.

Alumni Spotlight: Ashley Harper Continues Her Love for Softball as Head Coach at Hixson High

Mike Allison
GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME -- Central alumnus, Ashley Harper, continues her love for softball as head coach at Hixson High School.

Jared Eddy, Columnist

Many alumni from Central High School are doing what they love.  Ashley Harper, Class of 2009, is living out her passion everyday teaching students English at Hixson High School.  Along with teaching, she is also the head coach of softball  and assistant coach of the basketball team.

“There are several things I love about my job. I love that every day is different; I love that I get to spend my day sharing my passion for English. I love learning and I can honestly say I learn something new from a student, coworker, or something new about myself, every single day,” stated Harper.

Harper was also involved in athletics as a student at Central High School playing both soccer and softball.  Some of her favorite hobbies include hiking, playing soccer, reading, and cooking.

Harper states that throughout her life, there have been some huge role models.

“My parents have been my biggest mentors. My dad would have been an excellent teacher if he had taken that path, but he was an amazing coach. I hope that I can be half the coach he was. My mom is definitely the most patient and fair person I have ever met; she’s also brilliant and strong. I like to think I bring those aspects to my classroom and that students respect my work ethic and know that I have their best interests at heart.”

She stated that one of her favorite quotes is, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” (Phillippians 4:13), which has always given her encouragement to tackle a new challenge.