Southern Rock and Roll Artist, Barry Borden (’72) Drums His Way In The Central Hall of Fame

CENTRAL ROCKSTAR TAKES THE STAGE –Central alum, Barry Borden drums his way into the Alumni Hall of Fame.

Savannah Smith, Editor-in-Chief

Shakespeare once said that “If music be the food of love, play on.” and that is what Central alumnus Barry Borden has been living by for the past 45 years.

Borden, graduating in 1972, has been living his rock’n’roll lifestyle ever since he left his alma mater. From small bands, including Mother’s Finest, to international bands, including The Marshall Tucker Band, Borden has been playing since he first started at Central.

“I knew I wanted to be a musician since I was 13 year olds. I grew up listening to the Beatles and when I was in band in high school, it was kind of what I have always enjoyed,” shared Borden.

Borden was involved in organizations such as the The Annual staff and JROTC, but Borden got his main recognition in the Central High School band room.

“Band was all I cared about in high school. It was and still is my life. Playing at pep rallies, being in orchestra, and competing in competitions was my life. I loved band and my life has benefited so much because of it.” commented Borden.

When Borden was not playing at pep rallies or “cutting a rug”, Borden started his professional music career playing at house gigs around the Chattanooga area.

“It was kind of funny when we went to play at house gigs. Because I wasn’t 18, they had to sneak me in the club to play”, joked Borden.

Although, Borden was already playing house gigs in Chattanooga his senior year of high school, Borden wanted to get out of his comfort zone and become a big shot. Borden graduated early and moved straight to Atlanta to begin his official career as a professional musician.

“When I moved to Atlanta in 1972, I played gigs with a bunch or small groups and bands, but it wasn’t until I started with Mother’s Finest that my music career was finally working,” said Borden.

Borden, being a part of the original Georgia group, in 1975,  was the lead drummer, performing in some of their famous albums, including their self-titled album and Another Mother Further album. The band got their funky inspiration from the funk group Sly and The Family Stone, but almost seven years later disbanded.

After touring with other bands including ACDC, Earth, Wind, and Fire, and Aerosmith, Borden soon found the band he is still performing with today, The Marshall Tucker Band.

“I have been playing with the band since the 70’s and I have been with them ever since,” commented Borden.

The southern rock band has performed hits including “Fire On The Mountain” and “Can’t You See” and are still on tour today.

Borden, along with 4 other alums, will be inducted into the Central High School Hall of Fame next week at Central High School’s Senior Day on May 11th. Borden is very excited to be receiving this award and hopeful that he can influence current and future music students at Central to pursue their dreams in the music industry.

“I’ve always wanted to be a musician and if it wasn’t for my band directors at Central, I wouldn’t be here. My advice for future students is to never give up. The music business is a very strange industry and I totally encourage music kids to shoot for the stars,” concluded Borden.