Southern Rock and Roll Artist, Barry Borden (’72) Drums His Way In The Central Hall of Fame

Photo courtesy of the Marshall Tucker Band Website
CENTRAL ROCKSTAR TAKES THE STAGE --Central alum, Barry Borden drums his way into the Alumni Hall of Fame.

Savannah Smith, Editor-in-Chief

Shakespeare once said that “If music be the food of love, play on.” and that is what Central alumnus Barry Borden has been living by for the past 45 years.

Borden, graduating in 1972, has been living his rock’n’roll lifestyle ever since he left his alma mater. From small bands, including Mother’s Finest, to international bands, including The Marshall Tucker Band, Borden has been playing since he first started at Central.

“I knew I wanted to be a musician since I was 13 year olds. I grew up listening to the Beatles and when I was in band in high school, it was kind of what I have always enjoyed,” shared Borden.

Borden was involved in organizations such as the The Annual staff and JROTC, but Borden got his main recognition in the Central High School band room.

“Band was all I cared about in high school. It was and still is my life. Playing at pep rallies, being in orchestra, and competing in competitions was my life. I loved band and my life has benefited so much because of it.” commented Borden.

When Borden was not playing at pep rallies or “cutting a rug”, Borden started his professional music career playing at house gigs around the Chattanooga area.

“It was kind of funny when we went to play at house gigs. Because I wasn’t 18, they had to sneak me in the club to play”, joked Borden.

Although, Borden was already playing house gigs in Chattanooga his senior year of high school, Borden wanted to get out of his comfort zone and become a big shot. Borden graduated early and moved straight to Atlanta to begin his official career as a professional musician.

“When I moved to Atlanta in 1972, I played gigs with a bunch or small groups and bands, but it wasn’t until I started with Mother’s Finest that my music career was finally working,” said Borden.

Borden, being a part of the original Georgia group, in 1975,  was the lead drummer, performing in some of their famous albums, including their self-titled album and Another Mother Further album. The band got their funky inspiration from the funk group Sly and The Family Stone, but almost seven years later disbanded.

After touring with other bands including ACDC, Earth, Wind, and Fire, and Aerosmith, Borden soon found the band he is still performing with today, The Marshall Tucker Band.

“I have been playing with the band since the 70’s and I have been with them ever since,” commented Borden.

The southern rock band has performed hits including “Fire On The Mountain” and “Can’t You See” and are still on tour today.

Borden, along with 4 other alums, will be inducted into the Central High School Hall of Fame next week at Central High School’s Senior Day on May 11th. Borden is very excited to be receiving this award and hopeful that he can influence current and future music students at Central to pursue their dreams in the music industry.

“I’ve always wanted to be a musician and if it wasn’t for my band directors at Central, I wouldn’t be here. My advice for future students is to never give up. The music business is a very strange industry and I totally encourage music kids to shoot for the stars,” concluded Borden.

13 Comments

13 Responses to “Southern Rock and Roll Artist, Barry Borden (’72) Drums His Way In The Central Hall of Fame”

1. George Erdel on May 9th, 2017 3:25 pm

Barry we re so proud of you buddy. You EARNED THIS RECOGNITION!

Play on.

George

[Reply]

2. Jenny Johnston Adcock on May 9th, 2017 4:49 pm

Congratulations, Barry! So glad you were able to do what you really loved in life. Keep on trucking!

[Reply]

3. Sandra Bradford on May 9th, 2017 4:52 pm

Whoo-Hooo Barry !!! Congratulations! Rock On !!!!

[Reply]

4. Kathy Farmer Ratz on May 9th, 2017 6:51 pm

Congrats, Barry, on this well deserved honor! Perseverance paid off! Thanks for your encouragement to present Centralites!

[Reply]

5. Brenda Borden on May 9th, 2017 10:17 pm

Rock on brother!

[Reply]

6. Stan Haynes on May 10th, 2017 10:01 am

Congratulations, Barry! Enjoyed the pleasure of playing in the Central Sound of Chattanooga for three years with Barry.

[Reply]

7. Kimberly Hogan on May 24th, 2017 3:55 am

Way to go Barry. Your so deserving of this recognition! Such an inspiration to all Central students present & past! Congratulations!!!!

[Reply]

8. Deb Mayer aka louann erdel on May 24th, 2017 10:15 am

I’m so happy for you bury. I can honestly say that “I knew you when”. I believe you might have even played at my 13th birthday party in 1967 in our garage on heiskell drive. The music was good that’s all I remember. Congratulations on your lifelong achievement. I can’t really read music but I love music and I know all the words to many songs that Marshall Tucker band ever did. I’ve had much pleasure over the years singing along with the songs pop up in a public venue or at home or in my car.

[Reply]

9. Arlien Hyde Ryan on May 25th, 2017 8:19 am

Congratulations, we’re all proud of you!❤ Arlien and Robin Ryan

[Reply]

10. Bob Hilton on May 30th, 2017 6:22 am

Magnificent accomplishment, saw you play with Mothers Finest @ The Georgia Jam. Thanks for all the years of Great “Rock and roll” Barry……..

[Reply]

11. Mark St John on June 9th, 2017 8:09 am

Saw you at Rossville Federal with Scott. Scott had the flash paper. You were awesome then. We all grew up together with Brett with Silver Hammer Tom with Humor. I played for Spring Creek. Never got to meet you. My lose. Proud you made it and Congrats on the award.

[Reply]

12. Ginger Oglesby Garrett on July 9th, 2017 9:43 pm

I’m so proud of you Barry!! I always enjoyed being in the high school band!! It was the best class I had!!

[Reply]

13. Amber on September 13th, 2017 10:25 pm

Hey Barry. I’m proud of you man. I miss all you guys. If you don’t remember me I am stephs old friend. I hope y’all are doing well. Rock on!!!

[Reply]