Alumni Spotlight: Monte Coulter Goes From Purple Pounder to UTC Professor

MONTE COULTER GOES FROM PURPLE POUNDER TO UTC PROFESSOR -- Monte Coulter used his passion for music to create a career for himself and inspire others.

Abigail Lauren

MONTE COULTER GOES FROM PURPLE POUNDER TO UTC PROFESSOR — Monte Coulter used his passion for music to create a career for himself and inspire others.

Matthew Davis, Assistant Editor

Central High School produces great amounts of talent and success. Graduates of the school go on to become teachers, lawyers, doctors, and even musicians. One of these graduates is Doctor Monte Coulter, director of percussion studies at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.

“I loved playing in the Central Sound Drum Line to lead the band and cheerleaders into the outdoor pep meetings at Central on Fridays. I think I recall every one of those times. Bob Dugan, Morris Bales, and Judy Reich were among the finest music teachers I have ever know, and I felt privileged to work with them while at Central,” shared Coulter.

Dr. Coulter graduated from Central as part of the class of 1973. He then went on to the University of Tennessee – Knoxville, receiving a B.S. degree in Music Education in 1978, followed by an M.M. degree in Percussion Performance in 1980. Coulter finished his education with earning a Doctorate of Musical Arts degree from the University of Memphis in 1994.

“I have been the director of Percussion studies at UT Chattanooga for over 30 years, and am presently.  Along the way, I have also taught college music classes at MTSU, The University of Memphis, Lee University, and Rhodes College,” revealed Coulter.

Musicians love being able to touch others with their art. Music is one thing that can bring people together no matter age, race, or ethnicity. It creates feelings in people that nothing else can.

“The best part is when you figure out how to make a musical performance touch people’s emotions.  This is also the most difficult thing, and the most rewarding at the same time,” elaborated Dr. Coulter.

Coulter encourages his students to pursue any career they can dream of. He believes that hard work must be done, but any dream can be accomplished.

“I was blessed to have parents who never told me I should not pursue any path.  The first time I ever heard ‘Musicians can’t make a living’ was from my high school girlfriend’s Dad, not from my own,” expressed Coulter.

Music is a passion which Dr. Monte Coulter has formed his life around. He is the perfect example of what Central High School is all about, helping students pursue their dreams.