Pounder Cross Country Team Ends Season Well

CROSS COUNTRY SEASON COMES TO AN END -- Senior Nathen Vander Wilt competing in region meet.

Laurelie Holmberg

CROSS COUNTRY SEASON COMES TO AN END — Senior Nathen Vander Wilt competing in region meet.

Celisia Snakenberg, Sports Writer

Central’s cross country team had their last meet on Wednesday, October 24. This region meet was located at Camp Jordan in East Ridge, Tennessee. Many high school teams were represented, teams as far as Cookeville and as close as Soddy Daisy.

Although none of the Pounders made it to State, they competed well throughout the entire season.

“The cross country team has made a lot of improvements over the season. We started with a very young team, with five of our eight runners being newcomers. The team has grown closer as friends, faster on the course, and tougher mentally,” commented Head Coach Joyner.

Coach Joyner is proud of this year’s cross country team. He would like to see the team grow in size and wants more athletes come out and run next year.

Nathen Vander Wilt, the cross country captain, suffered an injury in his foot that dramatically affected his ability to run. Nevertheless, the coach and team were proud of all that he was able to accomplish.

“He came back from an injury and a lack of running mileage that would have totally sidelined a lot of people,” added Head Coach Joyner.

Vander Wilt persevered through a difficult and discouraging time in his running career.

“Coach Joyner always pushes me to be better, not only in running and with the team, but also in school and life in general,” noted Vander Wilt.

With a coach literally running by their side, the team constantly feels encouraged to be their best. Coach Joyner ran alongside them at practice and took them to different trails to prepare for meets. He has earned the trust and respect of his team.

Coach Joyner and the cross country team need more runners next year, so if you are interested do not be hesitant to come and join!