Art Instructor Melissa Hoesman is Painting The Pathway for Artistic New Beginnings

ART INSTRUCTOR MELISSA HOESMAN IS PAINTING THE PATHWAY FOR ARTISTIC NEW BEGINNINGS -- Ms. Hoesman is very excited to see what her new students can do. She models her latest art piece that centers around an astronaut.

Ashley Coleman

ART INSTRUCTOR MELISSA HOESMAN IS PAINTING THE PATHWAY FOR ARTISTIC NEW BEGINNINGS — Ms. Hoesman is very excited to see what her new students can do. She models her latest art piece that centers around an astronaut.

Ashley Coleman, Staff Writer

Art can be viewed as an essential aspect of life, seeing as it can be found virtually anywhere. From the architecture of a building to the very web page one is currently using, creativity was necessary to produce a majority of the things that people use daily. Now, there is a new art instructor to teach the trade, and her name is Melissa Hoesman. She is thrilled to become a member of the school’s staff and hopes to present a new perspective of the subject.

“I knew I wanted to be an artist at three years old,” said Hoesman.

Her whole family was artistic. Originally, she did not that know she wanted to be a teacher, however, things fell into place and now she gets to work at Central.

Born in Indianapolis, Indiana, she attended Shortridge High School and later went off to college years later.  She was very active in the school community, participating in art club, yearbook, and even her school’s papers.

Hoseman attended the College Scholars Program, which is an honors program stationed in Knoxville, Tennessee. One interesting aspect of the course is that she was allowed to design her own major. She graduated in 2005, and returned to another school in 2009.

As her life progressed, there was one recurring question that she wanted to answer: Why were people creative, and how do they define themselves as artistic individually?

Personal works that Hoesman plans on completing are mainly self-portraits and photography. Currently, her classes are doing side profiles of themselves out of construction paper. This is a way for her to see how her students open up and put emotion into their art.

One of her first impressions of Central were that the student body had a lot of diversity.  She has always wanted to work in an environment with others of all types of racial backgrounds, cultures and personalities. For this reason, Hoesman views Central as one of the best places for her to help spread her appreciation for art.