Freshman Track Star Kaigen Mulkey Races His Way to the Top With Best 2-Mile Running Average

MULKEY FOR THE GOLD — Freshman Kaigen Mulkey holds records for track and cross country.

Savannah Smith, Editor-in-Chief

Oprah Winfrey once said that, “Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it,” and freshman Kaigen Mulkey is making the best of the four years while at Central High School.

While being only a freshman and being a part of the cross country and track team, Mulkey has managed to hold the best record for the 2 mile run at 11:04 in track and field. Although his main recognition is in track, he also competed in the state competition for cross country and placed 5th in the region.

“When I was in elementary school, I used to race kids on the playground and beat them so I just kept doing it. I like competition and running is a good way for me to compete and win,” commented Mulkey.

Although Mulkey is content with his records he holds on the cross country and track team, he is still looking for improvement.

“If I could describe Kaigen in one word it would be talented. He has a lot of natural ability that a lot of kids do not have. I also believe that if he is willing to put in the work in a few years he could be one of the greatest runners we have had at Central,” stated coach of the track and cross country team, Matt Joyner.

“My goal time for the mile is 4:30 and probably 9 minutes in the 2 mile. I also want to go the state competition in 4×800 relay as well,” elucidated Mulkey.

Even though Mulkey’s main focus is to become a better and faster runner, he manages to be loved by not only his teammates, but by his fellow classmates.

“Kaigen is just one of those guys that if you’re having a bad day, he will cheer you up. He not only is a very well put together athlete, but a good friend as well. I can see him doing amazing things one day,” commented teammate and captain of the cross country team, Jared Eddy.

Kaigen hopes that with the guidance of his coaches and the pushes from his fellow teammates, that he will receive a track scholarship to the University of Georgia when he becomes a senior.

“I am just trying to make the most of what I got and to become better everyday,” concluded Mulkey.