Central’s Cheerleaders Make Preparations for the New School Year

CENTRALS CHEERLEADERS MAKE PREPARATIONS FOR THE NEW SCHOOL YEAR -- The 2018-2019 cheer squad enjoys their time together as a close-knit team.

Donated To The Central Digest

CENTRAL’S CHEERLEADERS MAKE PREPARATIONS FOR THE NEW SCHOOL YEAR — The 2018-2019 cheer squad enjoys their time together as a close-knit team.

Abby Young, Staff Writer

As the 2018-2019 school year is slowly but surely coming to an end, Central’s cheerleading squad is just beginning to prepare for the upcoming 2019-2020 school year. With the leadership of the team’s head and assistant coach, the cheerleaders have set goals for themselves individually and as a team. Central’s curriculum coach, Brielle Farrow, is the head coach while ninth grade English and creative writing teacher, Casey Hale, is the assistant leader.

On February 26, a meeting was held for the parents of upcoming and returning cheerleaders. In the meeting, expectations for the girls on the team were recapped. The importance of embodying the spirit of Central was emphasized greatly. The mentality of becoming a role model was highlighted to the potential cheerleaders, preparing them for the upcoming season.

“Our cheerleaders are expected to be role models to the entire student body, so we address the different rules that are to be followed while the girls are on the squad,” Hale explained.

The first way potential cheerleaders have to prove themselves worthy of representing Central is through tryouts. The tryouts for the 2019-2020 season will be April 2 through 5. After the tryouts, practice begins in July. The coaches keep a sharp eye for the outstanding girls during the tryouts. It is especially important to keep a sharp eye out for outstanding cheerleaders this year since the two cheer captains, Cassidy Dummer and Maggie Watts, will be graduating this year with the Class of 2019.

“A good cheerleader is confident, full of energy, and a positive representative of their school. During tryouts, we look for girls who can learn quickly since there are a lot of band dances and cheers to learn, smile, and have fun [with], even if they mess up,” Hale revealed.

Despite the seniors leaving, the team is still expecting 10 to 14 girls to be on the squad. However, there are specific requirements for the girls. For example, they must maintain at least a 2.75 GPA and have recommendations from three of their teachers.

Each year, the girls on the team are also required to commit to performing at the football and basketball games by first attending the preceding camp. During the summer camp, the girls learn two to three routines for upcoming pep rallies for the highly anticipated football games.

An additional way cheerleaders prepare for the new school year is by planning pep rallies, fundraisers, and other events. The girls also set goals to increase school spirit among students in order for them radiate the same enthusiasm as the members of the cheer squad.

“I just want to see more school spirit from all the grades. I also want to be able to see what new things our team can do to get everyone pumped up at school events and games,” said Sophomore Cheerleader Destiny Smith.

Cheerleading takes much commitment. The constant dedication is not for everyone, but those who commit to the cause create close relationships, a sense of achievement, and an atmosphere of close teamwork.

“I love doing cheer, because it allows me to show my school spirit in a special way most students do not. I always enjoy cheering for the teams as well as being a part of a team,” Smith concluded.